• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Outside the wire...

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I had the opportunity to do some interesting 'stuff' outside from my regular duties and away from the relative safety of Kandahar Airfield.

Most declined the offer due to the higher threat levels, but I wanted to experience something a bit different.

I took my new camera which I was happy with - a Panasonic Lumic LS3. Nice results for less than £100.

I gave a mate a few lessons on the camera's settings and composition so he could take some shots of me.

A bit of a contrast from planted tanks... 8)

Me on the ramp of an armoured vehicle
f_meandbisonm_e5684d0.jpg

Me (right) and a couple of lads. 50+C and in full kit...
f_meandladsm_bdc46d1.jpg

Me hydrating. I went though about 9 litres of water in 10 hours...
f_meandwaterm_d91d547.jpg

Me shooting on the range
f_meshootingm_7de46d0.jpg

Three of the lads
f_3ladsm_9f136d9.jpg

Armoured vehicles
f_2bisonsm_6cf14ab.jpg

My boots and my rifle (left)
f_bootsm_913dc1e.jpg

From inside armoured vehicle
f_frombisonm_c1809a4.jpg

Mounted on vehicle...
f_gunontruckm_fdae2ed.jpg

Enough said...
f_minesm_79807c2.jpg

WOW great photos and what a place to be!! I did think about joining the army when I left college, was always something I wanted to do but then gave up on the idea, parents were not too keen.
Must have been great to experience that, and looks like the camera is up to the task too. Keep us posted and keep safe!

Regards

Hi mate,

Great photos, really good to see. Its strange to see I guy I know, who ive shared a few beers with with a live rifle in your hands. Respect!
I really like the picture from inside the armerd vehicle, that says war to me. Im really facinated by it all. The last is chilling!

Thanks for letting us see theses.

Good stuff mate, it's great to see your still living the dream. Fair play i say, it must take some big spuds to stroll around there.
Loving the photos mate, especially the one from inside the armored vehicle and the "mounted on vehicle". Seeing you posing with a riffle makes a change form seeing you posing with a can of carling and a pair of tweezers although i know which one i prefer looking at pal, keep safe.

Wow, thanks for sharing George. Love the rifle silhouette. Maybe when you get back you might think about the movies? Rambo VIII...

Cheers mate, stay safe...

Hi George,I cant really add anything to what the other guys have already said but i think these words sum it all up for me,RESPECT MATE TOTAL RESPECT,for all our people out there take care and stay safe,regards john and family.

jeeeeeeez 50C+! that is one hot mamma! no wonder you got through 9L in 10h
hats off to you tho mate, your doin the country proud, it's gotta take guts to do it!
JC :D

you do appear to be napping up against the wheel of that armoured vehicle tho lol

Brilliant photos, Does bring it home to you when you see photos like that.

Got a friend who has been out there for 6 months and is due back soon, He's in communications and hasnt seen any action thankfully.

Hope the time fly's by and you get back safely.

Wow George. Nice shots but doesn't half bring home the reality of your current situation! I assumed you were far from any sticky situations (well as much as that is possible in a conflict zone obviously) so wasn't expecting to see you weilding an SA-80! Not a normal day I hope?

Keep your head down mate.

Fascinating pictures George, really interesting. And there's me watching programmes about the S.A.S and getting really into them, brings home the reality of it really when you see these images. Make sure you get back safely and carry on the excellent work your are doing for our hobby. And also on a personal note I say respect to the R.A.F, the worlds finest air force IMO.

Scary stuff. I've got other mates over there. Hope you all stay safe and get back here soon

N x

oldwhitewood said:
And also on a personal note I say respect to the R.A.F, the worlds finest air force IMO.

Things did go a little down hill after 1996. :lol:

Careful with that rifle George, you could have someones eye out.

Dave.

Back