• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Over Circulation

Gang@ukaps

To improve circulation with my tank i am going to buy a pump "Koralia" No.1 or No.2. Most of you know the size of my tank and the filter I am using.

A No.1 pump + my filter gives me 2250lph approx turn over or a No.2 + my filter gives me 3000lph approx, whats would be the risks in over circulating the water.

Regards
Paul.

Ummm..algae takes a hiatus?

Paul, we each get weary eyed looking at about 5,000,000 posts all with different tanks specs. No one can really remember who has what if it's not listed in the title, so it'd be nice to have a reminder of the tank size in your post. In fact it would have cost you less energy to type "xx G tank" than the text you actually put in your disclaimer... ;)

In any case, as long as the plants are not being pummeled to death by the flow, and as long as your fish don't feel like they are living in a washing machine perpetually on "spin" cycle, then the more LPH, the better.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Ummm..algae takes a hiatus?

Paul, we each get weary eyed looking at about 5,000,000 posts all with different tanks specs. No one can really remember who has what if it's not listed in the title, so it'd be nice to have a reminder of the tank size in your post. In fact it would have cost you less energy to type "xx G tank" than the text you actually put in your disclaimer... ;)

In any case, as long as the plants are not being pummeled to death by the flow, and as long as your fish don't feel like they are living in a washing machine perpetually on "spin" cycle, then the more LPH, the better.

Cheers,

Gang@ukaps

Folowing the above comment - addition info added.

Tank specifications - 39" x 15" x 12" - 217 ltr
Lighting - T8's 85 watts - on for 9hrs
CO2 - Pressurised
Filtration - Filter Ehiem 2080 flow rate 1700lph - spray bar outlet in the middle of the tank forcing the water from the middle to the tank to the outer edges – two inlet pipes one in each corner of the tank at the back.

Taking into consideration where the inlet pipes / outlet pipes are - where would the best place to position the pump for maximum circulation.

Topviewofspraybar.jpg

Tank09052009.jpg

Regards
Paul.

It`s hard to make an accurate assessment on something as hit and miss as this Paul. With a little experimentation you should find the optimum position no problem.

With a nice open scape like yours, flow may not be a real problem until the plants really start to grow.

As for over circulation, as long as the plants aren`t horizontal, or the fish being blown out of the water, it is mostly a case of the more the merrier.

Dave.

Back