• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Overdue Re-scape(Got some new plants.)

Derek Tweedie

This is my first planted tank journal since joining UKaps.

The tank is 24x12x15

WP_000060.jpg

This is what it looked like but after being on this forum I would like to think that I have learned a thing or too. this is what it looks like now.
DSCF4617.jpg

Most of the plants in the original setup where spread about the family. I managed to put about 30 portions of the Blyxa into a 6ft tank. I didn't think I had that much :lol:

Any way the current setup.

Equipment: Fluval U3, x2 T8s with a 8 hour photo period.

Hardscape: Slate bought from Dobbies 8 for £8. I think it looks quite good under the water. The Bog wood came from the original setup.
Plants: Blyxa Japonica, Hygrophila polysperma, Hygrophila corymbosa (1 stem of),Echinodorus tenellus,Lilaeopsis brasiliensis,Anubius coffeefolia and Xmas moss on the wood and a Java moss carpet.

My dosing regime: 2ml of EasyCarbo daily and 2ml of Prophito daily. I run co2 from a cheap starter kit.

Got some pics of the inmates to post up later.

I'm open to comments and criticisms.

Re: Overdue Re-scape

will look quite nice when fully grown , have you got reflectors on the t8 , and the carpeting plants may struggle a bit without the use of t5 but still looks nice, how long has it been running ?

I'm using tinfoil as a reflector does the same job and fraction of the price. The setup has only been running for two weeks so its still early days.

Rather than tin foil, white paint is actually a better reflector, counter intuitive but true!

Overdue Re-scape

Actually the shiny side of aluminium foil is around 90% reflective, whereas White enamel paint is around 70%. It will diffuse the light better but not as efficiently. Just look at the reflectors used in commercial grow lights ;)

Nice tank by the way, will look forward to updates.

yer that will look really good in a couple of weeks , and may have to give the tin foil a go now :)

Overdue Re-scape

My statement remains true. Foil is more reflective than White paint, it's more common sense than anything but I'd urge you to carry out some research based on fact if you think otherwise. Let's not hijack this thread with an argument though.

Re: Overdue Re-scape (fish pics.)

So here is my fish within the tank.

Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri
Axelrodia riesei
Oryzias woworae
Danio margaritatus
Crossocheilus latius
Ancistrus sp.

And I have two kinds of shrimp in there aswell.

Atya gabonensis
Caridina cantonensis (Tiger)

Here are a few shots of some of them.Sorry about the bad pictures.
DSCF4618.jpg

He thinks he's the boss
DSCF4622.jpg

Taking a rest. Please excuse the algae growth within the silicone the tank is over 10 years old. I am having trouble shifting this stuff.
DSCF4623.jpg

Wowarae flash
DSCF4629.jpg

Ruby Tetra

The Filter shrimp lives behind the wood and doesn't wander far so its quite hard to get a pic.
The Ancistrus is a pain in the neck tied to catch it out so many times but I risk uprooting everything in the process.

Here's a closer up shot of the tank.
DSCF4616.jpg

looking good :) like the top pic , what is it ? seen them before just forgotten ?? going to look nick , is that ricca or moss ?

The fish in the top picture is Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri(Pictures don't do killifish any justice). That's java moss on a slate to create a carpet. I had some growing in a jar on the window sill.

Thanks , and i tried doing that with ricca once ,failed miserably did you water change ? and ferts?

Are you on about the moss? Yeah I did a 100% water change every couple of days. I didn't add anything in the way of ferts though.

Was at outsideinside at the weekend and picked up some new plants for myself.
WP_000416.jpg

Cryptocoryne x willisii
WP_000415.jpg

Lilaeopsis mauritiana
WP_000413.jpg

Cryptocoryne wendtii "tropica" also in front of that is a Nymphaea rubra

I ripped out all of the Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and put it in my emersed setup.

Back