• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Overhead filter in planted tank?

Nont

Hello everyone,

I’m interested in buying this filter for my 90cm no CO2 tank. I wanted to know what you guys thought on its efficiency comparing to canister filter and does O2 coming from surface agitation affects plant growth?

7A141165-87DA-4BA8-B22E-966ACC6CB203.jpeg

Cheers

Hi guys,

I already bought the filter, and would like to know what how much turnover would I need for the overhead sump?
@hypnogogia @dw1305

Cheers
Do you mean the Tunze one that I mentioned? If so, the turnover was actually very small as it was a trickle filter, it worked with a pump doing about 2K litres per hour that went through a foam cartridge filter and then a bypass that used a 4mm tube to trickle water into two small trickle towers which were only partially submerged, thus ensuring very high O2 levels. So probably only about 200l/h. I can’t find a photo of it, but I used to have it and it was one of the best filter systems I’ve ever owned. Crystal clear water and very easy to service as it was all above the aquarium. Only downside was the shadow is cast in the tank. Brilliant flow for a CO2 tank as well.

Last edited:
I've been running a tank with a wet and dry trickle sump for many years and I wouldn't want it any other way... They are easy to maintain and pretty self-sustaining and as an open filter, they break down collected debris on their own devices thus needing little maintenance and rarely suffering from clogging. At least they need less maintenance than a canister that requires periodic cleaning to prevent clogging.

Disadvantages are the drain capacity is a gravitational thing and limits your maximum turnover in the tank without any additional in-tank powerheads to increase in tank turnover when it comes to CO² injection.

When it comes to efficiency they are the best of the best, but I also have to be honest here and these kinds of filter setups for use with aquariums with a healthy stocking all are actually a tad oversized for what they really need to do. Thus they are kind of more than you really need... And being more convenient and versatile in practice doesn't make it more efficient regarding filtering capacity. A properly sized canister in a sufficiently planted tank does the same job equally sufficient. Simple seen from the viewpoint "Is more than you need more efficient if you don't use it to its full potential because you don't have the input to get to that?" It actually isn't but still fun to have...

This is a different story in very large setups and then I would say at +1000 litres or overstocked (bare bottom) setups.

Long story short, you also can't go wrong with having more than you need... :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back