• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Overstocked oak?

What a change from that first photo!
Yeah it’s coming along! Really happy with the progress.

8C424C83-83E6-415D-8E89-B8182984C4A1.jpeg

Although I’m having some algae/deficiency issues that I can’t seem to get a hold of.

I think it’s still BBA, however I can’t seem to stop it. The carpet plants are looking a little worse for wear. The L. Brasisliensis has lost its colour and has dark patches. The S. Repens has the tell tale start of BBA with black rimmed leaves. I’ve also noticed very slight black edges on the hygropilia at the back of the tank, the bits directly in the filter flow.

As it stands it’s not that noticeable but I would like to try and get on top of it. I’ve been removing the bad leaves and spit dosing with sea hen flourish excel, but would like to get to the root cause.

9F66472B-CBB2-44E8-95EC-C932B15BE35E.jpeg

D3157543-A43C-481D-BBA3-72AAF1FEBE01.jpeg

So over the last couple of weeks I’ve tried to make a couple of changes to hopefully improve the situation. I’ve stuck with 2 x 50% water changes per week for now hoping this will keep things at bay

So far;
  • I am now dosing TNC complete daily at full EI dose. (12ml per day)
  • I’ve slowly upped the CO2, my drop checker is now a nice light green by the time the lights come on. This is around 4bps, but I know this is fairly arbitrary
  • I’ve adjusted the flow, it is now going from the back of the tank, and hitting the front
  • upped the filter maintenance to biweekly washing out in tank water at water changes

I have a ph and tds meter on order to do a full profile as I have seen that fluctuating CO2 can cause these issues.

Water parameters are ;
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate - 10
Ph - 7 before lights
Kh - this fluctuates in my tap water between 3 and 7. Currently around 5
Gh - again I’ve had fluctuations between 8 and 15. Currently around 10

If anyone has any advice on if I’m doing the right thing, or any tips it would be greatly received!

So a couple of months have passed since I last posted an update. The bba seems to be under control again. A few leaves have black edges, however the tufts seem to be gone for now.
FE1060E1-58E0-451C-AF9C-3E7978AF3F77.jpeg

2473C826-B047-4BFB-A329-155F84DF68D3.jpeg

I can’t remember the name of the plant in the foreground with the round leaves? However, it seems to uproot itself on an almost daily basis! Overall though, I’m happy with the mixed carpet effect.

No other real changes with the tank other than I’ve installed an oase Crystal skim 350 as there was always a film on the surface. Since fitting this, it has looked so much better. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but about three days later, the Anubias flowered

2E82AA0C-A312-4E87-8ADA-6A163D8DF3DE.jpeg

So it’s been around a month since my last update. The changes I’ve made seem to have sorted out the problems, and it seems to be pretty stable at the moment.
3E8CCAAD-2BA7-48EF-9482-0E20335E82C9.jpeg

The BBA has completely disappeared, and most of the plants are looking pretty healthy.

I have been a bit slack on keeping the plants trimmed however. Because of this, it is a bit of a jungle at the moment!
FAFF33BE-7875-4F37-AB3B-BEF6BF159282.jpeg

Nothing else has really changed. I’ve added one new fish, a dwarf snowball pleco who seems to have settled in really well.
762A89D0-47D7-4A17-BAAD-1A5C8F8B7EF2.jpeg

0C7C821F-97CE-45C2-8DC2-163CBB521D0F.jpeg

So it’s been around a month since my last update. The changes I’ve made seem to have sorted out the problems, and it seems to be pretty stable at the moment.
View attachment 203669

The BBA has completely disappeared, and most of the plants are looking pretty healthy.

I have been a bit slack on keeping the plants trimmed however. Because of this, it is a bit of a jungle at the moment!
View attachment 203668
Nothing else has really changed. I’ve added one new fish, a dwarf snowball pleco who seems to have settled in really well.
View attachment 203670
View attachment 203671
How long have you had the pleco? In those pictures it appears to have white spot.

So I haven’t updated for a while due to a new arrival at home. This has also meant that the maintenance schedule I was keeping has fallen down the list of priorities!

The tank has pretty much been left to it’s own devices for the last 3/4 months, with about 2 weekly 50% water changes and a sporadic fertiliser routine (ie when I remember)

It’s held up remarkable well, it’s also been a year to the day since I planted this one so I thought I’d add the day one photos compared to now. I’m still really happy with how this looks even if it is a bit of a jungle that is overrun with giant Java fern leaves. On a side note I’ve grown enough Java fern to plant another 2 tanks from this one.

I’ll likely not add much more to this thread now, as the set up if now pretty mature and unlikely to change much. Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for the advice and help throughout this scape.

FE05ABC5-5A55-4FFF-BBB5-019707450798.jpeg

0980FE6B-4A79-45ED-8D7D-175A81153963.jpeg

4178639A-7908-43FD-BF7D-224C1F5F5103.jpeg

Cool to see that Java Fern so big and robust like that. Really reaching its potential.

Back