• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Overworked and underpaid...

I'm a Partner in an IT Support company that i set up with a colleague 18 months ago. Although earning a lot less than what i did, my work life balance is brilliant so i get a lot of time to play with the tank!!!!!

I'm a Partner in an IT Support company that i set up with a colleague 18 months ago. Although earning a lot less than what i did, my work life balance is brilliant so i get a lot of time to play with the tank!!!!!

Started doign that 18 years ago, still am...you may find times when the work-life balance isn't so good!

I'm my disabled husbands full time carer. I also take my mum out to her stroke survivors group once a week and out for lunch on another day so that she gets out of her flat a bit. My girls are 18 and 20 now but I still seem to spend an inordinate amount of time being a long distance taxi driver!

Viv

Photographic retoucher. Always wanted to design album covers but leaving school in the late 80s, and starting in old school design companies, meant that two years in everything started to change to computer based design and for some reason (I was the only one who could be bothered to read the manual) I ended up on an enormous bit of kit doing really basic retouch on scanned pictures. Gradually software became more affordable and easily attainable (The first PC based retouch software/hardware I used was £250,000) until now I'm working on the same software most people have in their homes, Photoshop.

Went freelance nearly 10 years ago and rented space in a pro photo studio in Chelsea. Have a wide variety of clients covering all genres of pro photography so daily work is always changing which is great. Recent work has been Adverts for Harrods, book covers for various autobiographies, ads for Garrard jewellers, and the official portrait of the Queen that was released just before the summer (the shot of her in the highlands in her full robes and crown). Next week I start extending the sides and sky so it fits the dimensions for the National Portrait Gallery.

I can work very long hours, had the first holiday for two and a half years this summer, and never seem to make enough money to live comfortably. Such is life for most though.

No, no work actually done on the queen, in fact it was stipulated that I wasn't allowed to adjust her shape or retouch her face in any way. I worked on the robes and jewels and mainly the background which came from lots of different images. It's actually the second official portrait I've done for her, and I've worked on about twenty or so portraits of her for publication.

Reactions: tim
Why are you a conger?
Ha ha, not a very sophisticated explanation - my surname is Neale, and at school it rhymed with conger eel, which ended up sticking a bit. 25 years later the only place it gets used is on various forums..!

I'm an owner of an engineering company

Overpaid and underworked wish I had more work but hey this country doesn't want to manufacture things anymore

Back