• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

P@H/Coopet Nano cube

Very jealous
???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So finally got my 27L nano today. I asked Girlfriend if she like it.. she said it is just glass.. :) In her mind 39,- pounds translates to shoes and clothes only :)

I've got one brand new Nano cube of the same make that has never been used before if anyone missed the boat. Collection only though :p

I managed to scoop one of these too :D

Didn't think I would get approval for it, bought it anyway, and told her I was gonna do a shrimp tank for my eldest, she loved the idea! :D... Only thing is I have promised to put a skull in there as part of the deal lol.

I've been to ADC today to get rocks, wood, and substrate for it.

Oh jesus christ oh god oh god :woot: :( :( :(

I have just witnessed something so harrowing.

Have been noticing something odd about the flow bar on this filter. I find there's always bits of plant matter stuck or sticking out of the slots. Had also noticed something weird going on with the pest snails that had got themselves established in here.

You guys that have one know the top of it where the power cable goes in? Had a weird cluster of snails around this hole. Initially thought they were feeding there until a few days later they hadn't moved. Thought nothing more of it.

About 20 mins ago I noticed something silver and red looking in one of the spray bar slots. Turned the filter off and lifted spray bar out of the water. Still couldn't get at it so turned the filter back on. Sure enough it came out. Half a chili rasbora. And the other half came out of another slot.

5 mins after I'd caught the remains in a net and was scratching my head wondering how the hell it had got into the spray bar I noticed a fish struggling in the water. Now this one never had much chance. It was doing really badly in my main tank when I pulled it out a week ago. Despite showing some recovery after putting it in the nano it was not in good nick.

Fish is half swimming/half floating around the filter. At this point I'm thinking 'you're done mate, I need to pull you out and euthanise' and am about to reach for my net. The fish gets up to the top of the filter and SCHLUP down the power cable hole it goes. Like a hoover.

Freaking out at this point.

Then the filter starts making jamming, grinding, hideous noises. Too late to stop the process I wait and the fish appears in the spray bar. In one piece but horribly mangled.

I've tried lifting the filter so the top hole is out of the water or only just submerged but it starts making those grinding noises when I do and stops working. Have packed the top with frogbit in the hope this will stop any more fish or shrimp getting sucked in, have put it as high up as I can get it and am going to get a replacement filter tomorrow.

Maybe I've got a dodgy unit or my sponge is so bunged up with crap something's popped and water is getting drawn in where it shouldn't. Had to share as a warning and because I need to for therapy value.

Well that's quite some coincidence - I know exactly the hole you mean and have been eyeing it with some suspicion. Well today I was moving some things about and one of the suction feet came off the filter, which I didn't bother putting right. I checked the tank this evening to find that several bee shrimp, a fully grown red ramshorn snail and a male endler had all got pulled into the filter through the hole where the foot had been and died.

Sorry to hear that!
When I first set mine up, I placed the filter in so the very top (where said cable hole is) above the waterline; and it creates a venturi effect, showing that the pump doesn't create a seal. So your filter isn't a duff, but your much better with a decent sized filter anyway. The one included Is much too small if you have fish.

Sentral said:
Sorry to hear that!
When I first set mine up, I placed the filter in so the very top (where said cable hole is) above the waterline; and it creates a venturi effect, showing that the pump doesn't create a seal. So your filter isn't a duff, but your much better with a decent sized filter anyway. The one included Is much too small if you have fish.

Mine won't run when it's above the water line. The pump just makes whirring noises and nothing happens.

ghostsword said:
I actually thrown the filter it came with away, was too small for a tank than size, but if there is an issue with the hole why not patch it with silicone? It may be a design flaw. :(

Luis, good thought. I was actually just thinking I've got some of that gold label pond glue which i could use to bung up the hole. On the other hand I could get a HOB, lower the water level to avoid suicides and get some emersed growth going in here.

Make the best of a bad situation I reckon.

The easy way to "fix" it is to seal the top hole where the power cable goes, and seal the slider that increases and decreases the power. Make sure the slider is locked in the max flow before you seal it otherwise it barely moves water.

Seriously guys shame on you for not noticing this the moment it was plugged in!

I ran two of my P@H nanos for a few months like this but then changed to two Slimline HoB filters.

Have glued up the top hole with pond glue. Ugly but hopefully it works. Should have done it last night - found another shredded fish this morning.

hogan53 said:
Hi
You will need to purchase a piece of acrylic and cut a notch out, if you want to keep a lid in conjunction with a hang on filter.
hoggie

Yep, that's what I thought.

Johno2090 said:
The easy way to "fix" it is to seal the top hole where the power cable goes, and seal the slider that increases and decreases the power. Make sure the slider is locked in the max flow before you seal it otherwise it barely moves water.

Why seal the slider? You reckon they get sucked in through that too?

Johno2090 said:
I ran two of my P@H nanos for a few months like this but then changed to two Slimline HoB filters.

Could you provide a link to these HoBs?

Back