• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paint inside aquarium glass

john arnold

Hi
i have a 1200 tank divided by 3 glass partitions and want to put male bettas in each 4 compartments, so what can i use to shield them from seeing each other. I see Drylox latex paint bit its £18 for 1 litre, and others are spray which would go everywhere, any suggestions on lonf lasting unflaking paint that is not a spray and same price as gold or any genius alternatives please

Alternatively go to a craft store and get some sheets of opaque plastic / acrylic and cut them out to fit.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi
i have a 1200 tank divided by 3 glass partitions and want to put male bettas in each 4 compartments, so what can i use to shield them from seeing each other. I see Drylox latex paint bit its £18 for 1 litre, and others are spray which would go everywhere, any suggestions on lonf lasting unflaking paint that is not a spray and same price as gold or any genius alternatives please
I use "Expanded PVC Foam Board" . It is mainly used by sign making shops as backer board for disposable signs. Its made of PVC so harmless to plants and livestock, it can be cut with a razor blade box cutter knife, it comes in several different colors, and is cheap. My local sign shop always has leftover pieces that he tosses in the trash. If you ask nice you may be able to get it for free.
I have used it to make barriers in the the tank by sealing them in with silicone. I have also made light shields.

I use "Expanded PVC Foam Board" . It is mainly used by sign making shops as backer board for disposable signs. Its made of PVC so harmless to plants and livestock, it can be cut with a razor blade box cutter knife, it comes in several different colors, and is cheap. My local sign shop always has leftover pieces that he tosses in the trash. If you ask nice you may be able to get it for free.
I have used it to make barriers in the the tank by sealing them in with silicone. I have also made light shields.
I use something like that for custom Paludariums and that but tank alrady has glass divider and that would look bit rubbish and lots of crap would build up behind it, cheers

How about etching the glass or putting in frosted panels. The dividers wouldn’t be structural so safe enough to take out and easy to reinstall with new glass

How about etching the glass or putting in frosted panels. The dividers wouldn’t be structural so safe enough to take out and easy to reinstall with new glass
Cheers, tanks are bit awkward in situ as in rack but how do you etch glass?

Cheers, tanks are bit awkward in situ as in rack but how do you etch glass?
I think you can do it with a fluid that you paint on, I think it’s an acid though so you would need to be thorough on the clean up.

But I’ve seen frosted window sprays and films to stick over glass.

Just a thought

I think you can do it with a fluid that you paint on, I think it’s an acid though so you would need to be thorough on the clean up.

But I’ve seen frosted window sprays and films to stick over glass.

Just a thought
Ok cheers

There are spray paints that are aquarium safe - I think one is krylon but you'd need to google to check which exact product it was. The only issue would be cleaning that area of glass - I'm not sure how it would hold up over time as I think people use them more for spraying pipes/equipment/decor. I would guess ok with a clean sponge but you probably couldn't scrape it.

Alternatively maybe have a look at vinyl used for wrapping boats - it's designed to be underwater so should work for your application. I would guess they need to avoid toxicity to marine life so it would be fish safe but the manufacturer could tell you.

Thanks all the pond sealer paint has peeled off, ahhhhh, expensive paint too, think im going to have to use some foam board although the filter sponge and grow moss on is a good idea

Just read thats this expanded pvc foam is bit toxic

Back