• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Painting back of tank

BarryH

I've always used stick on vinyl backgrounds in the past and I'd like to try and use an acrylic paint for the next one. Is there any special paint I should look for and any I should avoid?

Any advice on cleaning the glass before the paint is applied would also be appreciated.

Not yet tried it myself, but i think you might want to take a look at plastidip
https://en.plastidip.eu/

It's a non toxic fast curing spray rubber, for applyng a rubber coating.. Once cured it can easily be peeled off again without the use of scratch tools and without leaving residu.

There are other brands now too, with spray rubber, but Plastidip was one of the first and longest on the market and gets better reviews than the other alternative brands.

I always thought this stuff is ideal for painting outside of the glass back panel, no mess, non toxic and easy to use.

Any advice on cleaning the glass before the paint is applied would also be appreciated.

Since next to grease, silicone is the painters worst nightmare.. For grease we have degreasers working perfect, but for silicone kit? It is sometimes hard or just not to spot, smallest kit residu as a film on the glass like a polished away kit fingerprint and nothing will stick to it.. Often you don't see it till the paint is on and that's to late. That's why silicoe is the painters worst nightmare. I know car painters skipping a paint job because they see silicone kit used on the car.. Than they rather skip and can't give any warranties..

Last edited:
I have just done this to my tank for the first time. I bought 2 bog standard tubes of black acrylic paint and a mini foam roller from Amazon. I saw that you should clean the glass with alcohol but i took a chance and skipped that. It took about 4 coats to be thick enough & as long as nobody pokes the paint with a broom handle (like my daughter did!!) You should get a nice even coverage

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-07-25-22-09-32.png
    Capture+_2018-07-25-22-09-32.png
    862.5 KB · Views: 88
Unless your set on painting, using a sheet of black acrylic cut to size is a nice non permanent solution.. you can also flick between backgrounds if you have white, blue etc depending on your mood. Artists foam board also does the same job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back