• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Painting MDF

Aqua360

Hi all,

Wonder if you guys can advise, I'm trying to source a cabinet, unfortunately most aquarium cabinets tend to either be black, white, or rarely oak, and it needs to be grey in line with SWMBO's wishes.

I've found some suitable cabinets from aquael size wise, again in black or white.

If painting an MDF cabinet, would you use a primer first to seal it, then sand it slightly so that the paint sticks? Would wood paint be best?

As you may tell, my DIY skills are somewhat lacking!

Hi
You need to sand down lightly the surface you want to paint!
Amazon product ASIN B0794ZXXYKPurchase all round paint...that will adhere to... MOSTLY ALL surfaces....as above!
You will need to do multiple coats so each one cures, don't rush this process!!!

The most important part is use a really good sealer.
And do as many coats as possible!
Amazon product ASIN B08265PJV4hoggie

Hi
You need to sand down lightly the surface you want to paint!
Amazon product ASIN B0794ZXXYKPurchase all round paint...that will adhere to... MOSTLY ALL surfaces....as above!
You will need to do multiple coats so each one cures, don't rush this process!!!

The most important part is use a really good sealer.
And do as many coats as possible!
Amazon product ASIN B08265PJV4hoggie
Thanks Hoggie, so steps would be:

Sand, seal, paint?

This paint will scratch easily......Sand, Paint, Paint, Paint, Seal, Seal, Seal.....especially for an aquarium cabinet!
;)Remember the more coats you put on the doors will be tighter to open!

My other half sprayed up a discoloured white cover & trim on a little nano tank, after I had masked all the glass off, with aerosol paint from Wilko.
The lid is quite flexible & gets splashed during water changes but so far no chips, cracks or scratches.
It's only been done a few months so I can't comment on the durability.

What size are you looking for, thee are quite a few grey cabinets available.
Really specific sizing, it's for either a nanocube 20l or 30l, so the ones I were looking at had footprint of 30x30x90

Thanks Hoggie, so steps would be:

Sand, seal, paint?
You should lightly sand after the first application of sealant and then reapply. This is because MDF has a tendency for the fibres to stand on end when painted and you get a rough finish unless you sand it again.

Something I realised, that I probably should have realised earlier, is that these cabinets tend to have an outside finish, that isn't just MDF I think, does anyone know what I mean, and what the external finish is made of?

Something I realised, that I probably should have realised earlier, is that these cabinets tend to have an outside finish, that isn't just MDF I think, does anyone know what I mean, and what the external finish is made of?

MDF can be veneered to make it water resistant. It is an outer layer that is ironed on.

Finally something I know the answer to! I work in a panel based furniture factory and spend every day dealing with this stuff.
Nearly all the cabinets available off the shelf are melamine faced chipboard. It's technically paper with a clear resin coat over it. Better ones may be laminated MDF which is basically the same but more layers and therefore more durable. Obviously with chipboard and MDF between. The better ones will be laminated plywood.
The edges will likely be ABS, which is glued on with either PVA or PUR glue. The melamine, laminate, ABS and PUR are all water proof. The chipboard and MDF are not but moisture resistant varieties are available.
One more option which I think Geoffrey is referring to is foil wrapped MDF. It's basically vacuum wrapped in a thin PVC foil, like IKEA or kitchen cabinet doors.

You could consider sticky back vinyl as an option instead of painting. If you do it prior to esembly it is probably all flat and square edged.

I build a sump shelf into my stand out of 2×4s that I knew would probably get wet frequently so wanted a more protective finish. I end up using an oil base protective enamel paint that's meant for metal. Not sure it would behave differently on MDF but it worked great on the 2x4s. The finish is almost waxy and water just beads off.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

You could consider sticky back vinyl as an option instead of painting. If you do it prior to esembly it is probably all flat and square edged.
this is a great idea on paper, until i remember i can't use vinyl to save myself, and would probably end up with a demolished cabinet haha

• Haha
Reactions: tam
Back