• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Painting MDF

I have to admit the stand for my new 35l nano is going to be a 1960s oak bedside cabinet....how retro is that! 😊
However, looking online, I see the brand retailing at £195 a pair so that makes it as expensive as an MDF one, bet it lasts longer too! 🤣

The smallest cabinets in grey that I've seen are the Aqua One Inspire 40 in Arizona Oak at 40cm square or an Aqua One Dynamic 58 cabinet in grey at 35cm square.
Noone seems to make a 30cm cabinet in a range of colours, they're usually black or white.

Also, i'm no further forward with this lol

If you are buying a pre-made cabinet, its fairly easy. This is what I would do/have done in the past:

1. Lightly sand the faces you want to paint (presumably just the door and side panels) to create a key, and then clean with alcohol based cleaner and lint free cloth, or paint prep wipes.
2. Get some rattle cans of grey paint primer, and spray it with a few light coats.
3. Once cured, give it a very light sanding with fine sandpaper, and clean with some alcohol cleaner and a lint free cloth or paint prep wipes.
4. Get some more rattle cans of your chosen colour and finish (matt is more forgiving), and apply several light even coats.
5. Let it cure and polish with a duster and furniture polish.
6. Assemble your cabinet.

Failing that, contact Aquariums4Life or a local furniture maker, and get them to make something up for you in your chosen finish.

I used to have my Eheim 37L Nano on an Oak HiFi cabinet. Mine was all wood but they do sell painted ones as well.

931311EF-E60D-4229-BECD-7FF88D66754A.jpeg

Nice!
Where did you get that CO2 bottle from?
AliExpress, it's the one for diy co2, citric acid and bicarbonate soda. Lasts me 2-3 months at a bubble every 6-7 seconds. Can attach solenoid too!

Back