• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paludarium In the making.

I fitted new capillary cloth and I have saved one tree, just modified it a bit to divert the water flow.
There was a lot of annoying dripping going on so I have made a few groves to direct the water.
15B1390A-5D30-4D67-81F3-454E28BCA818.jpeg

I have made a few groves to direct the water

That can become a never-ending story. :) I once made a small waterfall, took me 2 weeks to figure out where the water should run. # days later it ran different again, spilling water over the edge. Corrected it and a week later it went to the other side. Plant growth, detritus etc. etc. constantly redirected the water flow. Its an unpredictable entity dripping and splashing all over the place.

Absolutely, I was forever trying to stop that drip torture!
In the end that was my main reason for stripping it down!
I have cut out channels that all lead back to the main trunk so hopefully that will sort that out.
Also I was using a permanent drip wall but this time I will just have it run for a few minutes every hour.

Just making it up as I go along, but I have one limitation in that there will always be at least 2” of water in the bottom due to my overflow pipe position.
I was thinking about using quite a bit of Christmas cactus and maybe that fibre optic grass stuff as both are in abundance in the garden centres....

I have put a couple of buckets of rain water in the bottom, the capillary cloth seems pretty effective as it is wet for about 6” above the water level.
When the drip system is working it will be well soaked and will add quite a bit of humidity.
I actuality loved the baby tears stuff, I had collected from several spots and it looked very different at the time but in the end (a bin full) it all looked the same.

Just making it up as I go along but something came together today as I had an idea ......
I collected a bucked of wild moss and a load of soleirolia then I mixed it up with sphagnum moss and yogurt.
Then I rolled it up in a nylon mesh, twisted it all tight.
Might work? I plan to make a fair few, I might be able to individually feed water to each one .....
E66A46E0-8E34-4390-8FAA-A0108DC4FF7E.jpeg
ECF14397-8289-4375-85C5-D8E8FC5046A5.jpeg
B0BE986B-7712-4BBC-9873-73C0FF3CECC4.jpeg

My present set up has a closed front and very high humidity but after a few years I am fed up at looking into a steamy
glass box I want to have an open front and different plants.
I have been useing windscreen de mister but it only last around 3 days and then needs re treating.
I think orchids will play a roll in this one.
I need to take my present one down in the next few days.....
View attachment 120481
That looks brilliant, and that's what I'm aiming for with my Eheim Incpiria 400 litre. Have you got a journal or something on how you created this? Thanks.

Hi @REDSTEVEO, I dont know if I have, I had a quick search but did not find anything!

I have put togher loads of similar tanks in the past, there are a few issues based around the front glass condensation so you need to have good venation and then you are limited to the plants you can keep.

You can add ‘water proof circulating fans’ pointing at the glass, in combination with ventilation and choosing plants carefully, it is possible to keep the front glass clear but I find the front glass always makes the display look too false!
Of course an open front will make plant choice even more important but that style adds another dimension and looks much more natural .. ….

Last edited:
Back