• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paradise gourami aggressive, viciously ripped eye out of my albino cory!

Cherries

Hi all,

I got a paradise gourami as a late birthday gift at my local Maidenhead Aquatics. I didn't know how aggressive they really are until I read so many posts about how vicious these things are.

I suppose he was young and wasn't mature, he killed of most of my c.aeneus. Only 3 albinos left along with my rescued Brochis sp. Now he got more colours, got more mature and aggressive and viciously attacked my cories.

Their eyes are bleeding, I will be putting them into 15L quarantine box with clean water to try and prevent infection and ease them of their pain.

Will the cories survive? Especially the one with ripped out eye?

Thank you, I removed the cories ASAP and I cleaned out the box I will quarantine them in and I am acclimating them to new and fresh water.

I am taking back the gourami to MA. I love him so much but he's just too vicious..

It could survive if the wound doesn't get infected... I had some rather sick Pygmeae cories a few years back infected with Trichodina. The majority survived the treatment but one was severely damaged and got an eye eaten out by this parasite. This little dude actually got the oldest of all and still lives today. That would be about 7 years now and no idea about its age at arrival.

Corries can be pretty though and grow old it seems... I also didn't really treat the fish for the damaged eye I wouldn't know how to do this. But I dosed some Esha2000 a couple of times which seems to function as an antiseptic disinfectant. Anyway if it doesn't help it doesn't hurt.

Simply make sure the tank is healthy and clean and do some extra water changes And wish Cory luck.

yeah, it's hard, but there's no real option when you're other fish are being harmed. It's a shame that the most eyecatching and beautiful fish are the most aggressive and territorial ones.
Yeah, you're right. It is hard indeed, I got really attached to him but I do have to let him go. He's been getting more colours lately and such shame I won't see him grow and get more colours.

It could survive if the wound doesn't get infected... I had some rather sick Pygmeae cories a few years back infected with Trichodina. The majority survived the treatment but one was severely damaged and got an eye eaten out by this parasite. This little dude actually got the oldest of all and still lives today. That would be about 7 years now and no idea about its age at arrival.

Corries can be pretty though and grow old it seems... I also didn't really treat the fish for the damaged eye I wouldn't know how to do this. But I dosed some Esha2000 a couple of times which seems to function as an antiseptic disinfectant. Anyway if it doesn't help it doesn't hurt.

Simply make sure the tank is healthy and clean and do some extra water changes And wish Cory luck.
I do have some eSHa200 at home but I'd rather stay away from meds for now, their wounds are still fresh. I will do daily water changes. Thank you :) And sorry to hear about your little one..

I do have some eSHa200 at home but I'd rather stay away from meds for now, their wounds are still fresh. I will do daily water changes. Thank you :) And sorry to hear about your little one..

It's actually not really a medicine it's more a disinfectant as an alternative to antibiotics which no longer is available in the public trade. At least not in Europe. Even its antibiotic property is rather very mild, it's more like an Iodine on the wound. :)

If it gets infected then Esha200 will likely do very little, but if not even if mild it might prevent it...

But it can also heal itself if the fish is healthy and strong enough. I also have a fancy pop eye goldfish that lost one eye over a year ago. It healed perfectly on its own devices and the fish seems to be in perfect health and not really bothered living with one eye. I believe those pop eyes are as blind as a bat anyway...

What an awful story. I have bred quite a lot of these fish and all I can say is that they are all unique. I haven't had them attack other species, except if protecting a nest. I had 2 fish, one male and one female that relentlessly pursued other tank mates and needed to be separated. Vast majority have been peaceful. I have had 8 fully mature adults in one large tank, but that said, they have been together since they were young. A tricky fish to introduce to an established setup, because in my experience it's impossible to predict how the fish will respond. Good luck.

What an awful story. I have bred quite a lot of these fish and all I can say is that they are all unique. I haven't had them attack other species, except if protecting a nest. I had 2 fish, one male and one female that relentlessly pursued other tank mates and needed to be separated. Vast majority have been peaceful. I have had 8 fully mature adults in one large tank, but that said, they have been together since they were young. A tricky fish to introduce to an established setup, because in my experience it's impossible to predict how the fish will respond. Good luck.
I heard lots of terrible stories like mine, but not as terrible.. But that was right after I got back home with him. Yeah sometime I'm an idiot lol.

It's actually not really a medicine it's more a disinfectant as an alternative to antibiotics which no longer is available in the public trade. At least not in Europe. Even its antibiotic property is rather very mild, it's more like an Iodine on the wound. :)

If it gets infected then Esha200 will likely do very little, but if not even if mild it might prevent it...

But it can also heal itself if the fish is healthy and strong enough. I also have a fancy pop eye goldfish that lost one eye over a year ago. It healed perfectly on its own devices and the fish seems to be in perfect health and not really bothered living with one eye. I believe those pop eyes are as blind as a bat anyway...
Alright, I will use my eSHa2000. I desperately want them to make it somehow. They all are pretty weak, if I poke one it will merely move.

For how long would I have to put in eSHa2000? And how would I do it with daily water changes along medication?

For how long would I have to put in eSHa2000? And how would I do it with daily water changes along medication?

That is hard to say, unfortunately... If the fish is rather healthy and vivid overall then it can heal on its own. If the fish already is weak and showing fatigue then there is no way to determine the result of whatever you try. In my personal experience, if a fish does not show normal behavior then it's most likely not going to survive any treatment. :(

With topping-off treatments after water change then you need to know how much water you've changed. For example, if the prescription says 100ml p/100L and your WC is 50L then you need to top off with 50ml after that to get back on track according to prescription.

They seem shocked but given their situation it's understandable. I dropped some food and they immediately went into hunting mode so I am guessing they're all healthy :)

So basically 1 drop per 1L? That would be easy, thank you a lot! For how many days should I use the medication though?

Back