• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

parasitic worms?

Kristoph91

I woke up today to a dead fish sucked against the intake of my filter. Had no idea why it died, no signs of any disease externally.. then I was doing a bit of maintenance this evening and came across a tiny white worm. About a cm long and as thin as a thread.
Could this be a parasite? If so, do you think it killed the fish?

Thanks guys,
Kris

Could just be flat worm which are harmless but unsightly, you'll soon know if it is as once you see one in a couple of days there will be 20.....etc some fish eat them.

Was the fish or tank new? Sometimes fish just die..
I would Do a large water change and see what happens...

Hmmm weird. Thanks for the info Iain.
The fish and tank are not new at all... I have done a WC just now, around 70%.
I do not want worms in there :(

Could probably be Planaria google to see if they look the same. If so you can get tablets to kill them off from aqua essentials.

Westyggx said:
Could probably be Planaria google to see if they look the same. If so you can get tablets to kill them off from aqua essentials.

Do you know the name of the product or have a link?

Tom

I found out it was Planaria in the end. Made a little trap for them using a Kinder Easter egg plastic toy package.. and a medication jar/bottle. :lol: Caught loads of the buggers.
Think my Kili's ate the rest, never saw them ever again.
I'd say try out the trap before you spend money on chems.

Kris

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
I found out it was Planaria in the end. Made a little trap for them using a Kinder Easter egg plastic toy package.. and a medication jar/bottle. :lol: Caught loads of the buggers.
Think my Kili's ate the rest, never saw them ever again.
I'd say try out the trap before you spend money on chems.

Kris

I would never use chemicals without trying a hands on approach and sorting out the cause, how did you go about making the trap?

Step 1. Buy a Kinder Egg. (Eat it and make the toy)
Step 2. Take the container use the discard the shorter half of it.
Step 3. Find a pill container or something cylindrical in shape that has nearly the same radius as the kinder egg toy container.
Step 4. I used a hot match for this, Make a hole on the tip of the kider egg container, where the centre of the "circular" part is. Not too big, try and make it as small as you can.
Step 5. Rinse both uncapped pill container and Kinder Egg thin under fresh cold running water for a while.
Step 6. Place some kind of meat in the pill cylinder thing.
Step 7. Place the roundy side into the pill cylinder thing and push it right in till the rims of both meet. It must be a snug almost airtight fit.
Step 8. Fill with tank water and chuck into aquarium at night, in a corner or near a heavily planted section.

The planaria can get in easy, but find it hard to get out.
Warning, do not leave in for more than half an hour, as the meat/fish food may ruin your water and/or cause harm to your livestock.
Hope this helps. Also a film container for a camera works.

Kris

Hi all,
But I've read that you can use meat.
A prawn has phenomenal Planaria pulling power. You need to put the trap in over night ideally, I would expect you will be very surprised with how many you catch. If you want a quick and dirty trapping method a fine aquarium net with prawn in side will do, although Kris's style of trap would be better.

cheers Darrel

Back