• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pearl Gouramis

Team Steve

Gourami's in general are one of favorite fish which I plan to stock along with rainbows when I get my 300/400L tank in the next house but has any one had experience of keeping multiply males in the same tank?

Back in the days when I was around 8 or so we had kept a lot of pearl gouramis, around 5-6 and they were pretty peaceful. You may get the odd squabble if you have a pair breeding but if you tank is planted with enough room for the males to have their own space then it should be fine. Unlike most gouramis, the pearls are pretty peaceful in my opinion.

Can only speak to the two males I have currently.
One resides in 55 gal with one Severum and score's of fancy guppie's,and one resides in 80 gal with assorted tetra's.
They both would not get along in the 80 gal .
I like these fish too. They aren't as suceptible to Iridovirus ,mycobacterium, that many of the other' dwarf gourami are ,and can live to ten year's it is said, with good care.

thanks for the insight, it's a real shame the males can't get along other wise I would have a tank full ;)

A tank full should be OK. Two males are likely to fight a lot, but several males together usually get along quite well, with just occasional squabbles. More aggression happens when they breed, but in a large enough tank for the breeding pair to take a territory and still leave enough space for the other fish it should be OK.

A tank full should be OK. Two males are likely to fight a lot, but several males together usually get along quite well, with just occasional squabbles. More aggression happens when they breed, but in a large enough tank for the breeding pair to take a territory and still leave enough space for the other fish it should be OK.

What sort of group size are we talking? 6+? thanks :)

Yes, six or more males and the same number or more females would be best. The tank you're planning is plenty large enough for those and some stocking capacity left for other fish.
There are some very nice Pearl Gouramis around at the moment, I have nearly bought some several times in the last few weeks. :)
They have always been a favourite of mine, ever since my dad introduced me to them, he loved them too. Snakeskin Gouramis are great as well. I used to keep both, but not at the moment. Maybe it's time for a rescape. :)

Back