• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pearl weed confusion 'Hemianthus micranthemoides'

Ginkgo

The pearl weed growing in my tank looks nothing like the pearl weed I see in other peoples tanks. Mine forms a very dense bush without co2 injection and with moderate lighting. The internodes are shorter, the leaves are more curved and wider than in the example pictures. It only ever gets about 10cm tall and will grow no taller, the lighting levels make no difference to its height. In the two example pictures the leaves are much more narrow, are less curved and the plant is able to grow significantly taller than the pearl weed in my aquarium (30cm+). What's going on here? The plant was sold to me as Hemianthus micranthemoides but appears to differ in characteristics. Are these two different species? Could someone please clear this up it's driving me crazy!
20211001_122033.jpg
20211001_122001.jpg

Example 1 - MD fishtanks
pearl.png

Example 2 - Tropica
pearl 2.png

Could be that you've got Hemianthus glomeratus. 'Pearl weed' gets used for a few plants.
That appears to match my plant! So I have Hemianthus glomeratus. The other plant seems to be 'Hemianthus sp. “Amano Pearl Grass”' due to the two leaves per stem node as apposed to my apposed to my four leaves per stem node.

'True Hemianthus micranthemoides is another species that has probably never been in aquarium cultivation'. There was a lot of interesting information in the link you provided, it's amazing how many plants are listed under the incorrect scientific name. Even Tropica list a plant under 'Hemianthus micranthemoides' even though it doesn't actually exist in the trade and may even be extinct in the wild.

Thanks a lot for your help! I had a feeling they were different species.

That appears to match my plant! So I have Hemianthus glomeratus. The other plant seems to be 'Hemianthus sp. “Amano Pearl Grass”' due to the two leaves per stem node as apposed to my apposed to my four leaves per stem node.

'True Hemianthus micranthemoides is another species that has probably never been in aquarium cultivation'. There was a lot of interesting information in the link you provided, it's amazing how many plants are listed under the incorrect scientific name. Even Tropica list a plant under 'Hemianthus micranthemoides' even though it doesn't actually exist in the trade and may even be extinct in the wild.

Thanks a lot for your help! I had a feeling they were different species.
I was trying to find it a year or so ago. I couldn't understand why tropica had it labelled as difficult but lot's of people were having success with it in low tech tanks. After spiralling down multiple internet rabbit holes I found that info on Flowgro and it made sense.
Unfortunately Hemianthus micranthemoides gets used quite a lot. When trying to ID the plant based on what is often emergent growth in shops it's hard to spot, so I gave up trying to find glomeratus. Nice plant though and looks great in your tank.

I was trying to find it a year or so ago. I couldn't understand why tropica had it labelled as difficult but lot's of people were having success with it in low tech tanks. After spiralling down multiple internet rabbit holes I found that info on Flowgro and it made sense.
Unfortunately Hemianthus micranthemoides gets used quite a lot. When trying to ID the plant based on what is often emergent growth in shops it's hard to spot, so I gave up trying to find glomeratus. Nice plant though and looks great in your tank.
I have the opposite problem, I'm actually trying to find the 'amano pearl grass' because I want more of a mid-background plant as opposed to the carpeting plant that I have. I'd be happy to send you some, I have an absolute ton of it. Maybe we can swap if you have some of the other type :D If not I can still send you some!

Additional question, do you think the Hemianthus Micranthemoides sold by tropica is Hemianthus sp. “Amano Pearl Grass” or Hemianthus glomeratus. If it's the Amano pearl grass then I could just order that.
That's really kind thank you. If you wouldn't mind sending some that would be great. PM me how much I owe you and I'll send you the money.
Your best bet will probably be to try and get some on here or from another hobbyist (people often sell their excess plants on eBay/band). That way you can be sure of the submerged growth pattern and if it has come from high or low tech.
There was some for sell on here a little while ago. Once you get past 25 posts you can access the for sale forum and you could ask if anyone has any in there.

Maybe Aquarium Gardens can clarify species id for you. I think Marc (MD) originally got his from AG . I have some cuttings thrown in another aquarium and it attached itself to moss and took over a third of the tank

I contacted Aquarium Gardens and they were not sure. They've advise me to contact Tropica so fingers crossed I'll get a reply. The mystery will be solved!

Update about pearl weed sold by Tropica for anyone interested - 'We are in the process of updating our species names to be sure that we uses the latest knowledge about the plants – and at present we believe that the right name for Hemianthus micranthemoides will be Micranthemum glomeratum. It is an ongoing process to do the research, and with updates in blocks, the next hopefully in the coming 6 months.' Troels Andersen, Development manager.

Looks like I still need to hunt down Hemianthus sp. “Amano Pearl Grass".

Update about pearl weed sold by Tropica for anyone interested - 'We are in the process of updating our species names to be sure that we uses the latest knowledge about the plants – and at present we believe that the right name for Hemianthus micranthemoides will be Micranthemum glomeratum. It is an ongoing process to do the research, and with updates in blocks, the next hopefully in the coming 6 months.' Troels Andersen, Development manager.

I'm dropping of some fish to my local MH on Friday. I'll see what they have and ask if they can get it if it's not there.

I've just checked in my copy of Aquarium plants by @Christel and in there she writes under M. glomeratum: The species has long been known as H. micranthemoides [now M. micranthemoides (Nutt.) Wettstein], but was misidentified (Allen 2015). Hemianthus was combined with Micranthemum after phylogenetic analyses (Fischer et al. 2013). the genus needs revision.

Hth.

Interesting as I inadvertently purchased some Hemianthus micranthemoides (Micranthrmum Micranthemoides) but it looked different than the versions I saw online when googling it!

I'm not disappointed, as I was actually looking for a low growing/carpeting plant so fingers crossed.

What I have looks very much like this picture!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728_120919_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230728_120919_eBay.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 89
Back