• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pearl

dazcoops

what does this word mean?

Iv seen it used in relation to aquatic plants on quite a few threads, and just wondered what it meant

Cheers
Darren

A plant that is 'pearling' has small bubbles of oxygen forming on the leaves that the plant pumps out from photosynthesis. They only appear once the water is saturated, when no more gas can be dissolved in the water.
It's basically seen as a good sign that the plants are doing well with no real limiting factors.

Here a photo of Riccia Pearling, back when I had it in my tank:

pict3706xi9.jpg

And here glosso:

pict0030l.jpg

I thought it was that, im glad its a good sign because my plants are starting to do it, should it happen all day or just towards the end?

dazcoops said:
I thought it was that, im glad its a good sign because my plants are starting to do it, should it happen all day or just towards the end?
It happens when the lights are on, but more towards the middle/end of the photo period.

How long after the introductions of CO2 would we see signs of this type of thing happening?

I am gving my plants co2 for about three weeks now and have not seen any of these pearling buubles....should I be worried?

mfcphil said:
How long after the introductions of CO2 would we see signs of this type of thing happening?
I am gving my plants co2 for about three weeks now and have not seen any of these pearling buubles....should I be worried?
Depends on the species of plants, some pearl more than others and some don't pearl at all, and also amount of light, etc...
But no pearling doesn't mean you have to worry about it, as long you getting healthy plant growth and no algae thats whats important.

LondonDragon said:
Depends on the species of plants, some pearl more than others and some don't pearl at all, and also amount of light, etc...
But no pearling doesn't mean you have to worry about it, as long you getting healthy plant growth and no algae thats whats important.

Thank you for the advice

After the introduction this week of a couple of reflectors I am now seeing the PEARLING towards the end of the day :D

Superman said:
Now I've increased my flow in the tank, its like lemonade every day with all of the pearling
Interesting you say that Clark, I find in my nano, that I get more pearling when the flow is turned down a bit ! Maybe the higher flow of the eheim in the little nano creates too much aeration, even though the lily outlet is well below the surface.

Tony

Tonser said:
Superman said:
Now I've increased my flow in the tank, its like lemonade every day with all of the pearling
Interesting you say that Clark, I find in my nano, that I get more pearling when the flow is turned down a bit ! Maybe the higher flow of the eheim in the little nano creates too much aeration, even though the lily outlet is well below the surface.

Tony

It might be that with the increased flow that the o2 bubbles stay in the water column longer than before. Sometimes it's an eye sore.
Although, I believe previously that I didn't have enough flow and now co2 and ferts are being passed around better.

Back