• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pearling?

krazypara3165

theres a lot of people going on about plants "pearling" in this neck of the woods. is it just evidence of the plants producing o2? or it it the Co2 sticking to the plants?

Either way i turned all my filters and pumps off today to get the discus out of their hiding places so i could observe them and noticed "streams of bubbles" coming from my plants? im assuming its the plants producing oxygen but the rate its coming out it seems unlikely. any ideas?

P1068164_zps56db2c76.jpg

P1068163_zpscfee16e0.jpg

I get that too. Was wondering the same, be good if someone could give a definite answer!

Yep, pearling it is!

streams of bubbles like those are more likely due to damaged leaves than they are "true" pearling. It's also worth noting you can get pearling with sick plants it doesn't really indicated excellent health, just that there is a surplus of o2 in the water.

streams of bubbles like those are more likely due to damaged leaves than they are "true" pearling. It's also worth noting you can get pearling with sick plants it doesn't really indicated excellent health, just that there is a surplus of o2 in the water.
ahhh thats a more feasible reason as the plants at the bottom are not in a 'pristine' condition.

I've never managed to get my plants to pearl. They look really really healthy growth is fast just no pearling :/

I've never managed to get my plants to pearl. They look really really healthy growth is fast just no pearling :/
Requires very high levels of CO2 and light for them to pearl I have found, because they don't pearl does not mean they are not healthy ;)

I thought it mate had been my lack of high light.
11w over 30liters and its a deep tank.
My co2 is way high. So ill just tell myself it's the light haha

I have 16watts over a 220 ltr cube. I wont te expecting any pearling then.:)

I have 16watts over a 220 ltr cube. I wont te expecting any pearling then.
my riccia and my cuba pearls, I use ONE 24w t5 tube and have no injected co2, just NPK and excel now and again. At no point do I get as much pearling as above, but I do get 'pearl' bubbles popping out the ends of my cuba leaves :)

Hi all,
Cabomba caroliniana is a really good one for low tech pearling. If you have a stem right near the waters surface you should be able to see it pearling (you may need to briefly turn the filter off if you have a lot of flow) during the photo-period.

I've got some in a tank where it gets some oblique sun-shine in the afternoon (but not at the moment) and this makes it pearl like mad.

cheers Darrel

Back