• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Peat Balls Into Substrate

cheekycharly

Hi I'm about to put three bags of Fluval Stratum in my tank and I wondered if it's worth putting peat Balls in first as I have a few bags of them.

Are they worth it or do they just create mess later on.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Fluval Stratum is exceptionally light for a substrate, there’s a chance that the peat balls may migrate upwards through the substrate if gasses build up in them, I don’t have experience with this exact configuration but I have used denser Tropica plant substrate over wet LECA (Hydroton) and the LECA kept migrating upwards to the top of the substrate, capping with JBL Volcano Mineral solved that by locking the Tropica Substrate in place so it couldn’t move out the way to let the LECA through.

You just have to experiment to see if it works, it’s a sound idea but your mileage may vary.

:)

I've put the peat Balls to the back where the substrate would be most dense.

Used three 8KG bags in a Juwel Rio 180 and it's nowhere near enough. Just ordered another two bags on prime for tomorrow.

Fish will have to sleep over in their temp home.

Thanks for the reply

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Back