• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pebble based UGF Tropical

sr20det

Right, I have a gravel based aquarium and a UGF which I havest used in a while, stone get clogged up.

Now I have tried pond weed, Elodea canadensis, which didnt seem to like the light in the tank, the leaves became bright and narrow, and didnt seem to stay in the depth of the tank, always floaed tot he top.

I thought it was the easiest and strogest to grow in such a tank, seeing I had gravel. However could never get it to root, or stay down within the gravel.

Any ideas, as I still have some, which I wouldnt mind putting in again, or advise on a plant that might be ideal for such a tank?

Fish are just guppys, 2 corys, and 3 ancistrus.

Thanks

sr20det said:
Now I have tried pond weed, Elodea canadensis, which didnt seem to like the light in the tank, the leaves became bright and narrow, and didnt seem to stay in the depth of the tank, always floaed tot he top.
What property of the light do you suppose was not agreeable to the plant? Do you have too much light? If so then reduce it.

Why not just shut down the UGF and keep the external running?

Are you feeding the plants? It could easily be that the plant doesn't like not being fed. Gravel is not the ideal substrate, but if you add nutrients to the water you can overcome this problem. here may not be enough fish to provide the required nutrients. Canadian Pondweed is normally bulletproof so that means you're doing something fundamentally wrong, either too much light or not enough nutrients/CO2, or both.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
sr20det said:
What property of the light do you suppose was not agreeable to the plant? Do you have too much light? If so then reduce it.

Why not just shut down the UGF and keep the external running?

Are you feeding the plants? It could easily be that the plant doesn't like not being fed. Gravel is not the ideal substrate, but if you add nutrients to the water you can overcome this problem. here may not be enough fish to provide the required nutrients. Canadian Pondweed is normally bulletproof so that means you're doing something fundamentally wrong, either too much light or not enough nutrients/CO2, or both.

Cheers,

I just have a standard white 35w tube light on the tank, i always thought it wasnt bright, as I have failed to grow certain planst due to lack of light.

I have currently switched off the UGF but was intending to switch it back on, as I do beleive it breaks down the crap at the bottom of the tank, which currently builds up.

Not feeding the plants, but the tank is well stocked, it has guppys, so theykeep levels up, and I asumed that this would be enough to keep the tank all nutriented up. Cant add co2, if I could, I would have more then pondweed, i went for pondweed, because it was supposed to be the easiest to grow. :?

sr20det said:
I just have a standard white 35w tube light on the tank, i always thought it wasnt bright, as I have failed to grow certain planst due to lack of light.
Why have you assumed that the plants are failing do to lack of light? Has it occurred to you that your assumptions about light and nutrients could be upside down? It could easily be that your standard 35W tube is too much and that your nutrients not enough. What size is the tank? Is this tube a T5 or a T8?

You can also add CO2 via liquid carbon products. Does your UGF produce a lot of bubbles? If so this is not good. This is one reason I suggested that you simply use the external only.

Cheers,

Hi
I have found that Elodea/pond-weed does not do that well in a heated aquarium it usually reduces in size after time.
It definitely needs fertilizer to keep it in good condition and produce roots.
I would remove the UGF this will have a beneficial effect on your plants.
I have some in a non Co2 tank with some Cory's and I dose fertilizer/trace daily and it takes root okay.
Regards
hoggie

Thanks guys, I think its a T5, It could well be the light is too much, the leaves grow differently in the tank with the light. Leave are long and narrow, and ligter in colour. I can switch the UGF off, no problems. UGF doesnt create bubbles, but draws all the water through the gravel. same time, pulling any debris. Mind, bubble tubes on each end create bubbles and flow.

I will indeed look into ferts. Any recomendations on the type of ferts?

Back