• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Penthorum sedoides Maintenance

Colinlp

Does anyone have any of this? I have just put some in my new scape, it came quite tall and straggly, I would like to get it shorter and bushier which happens with high light and CO2 which is available (not so much light until the tank is a bit more established).

How do I achieve this, should I just crop it short and hope for the best or is there a method to trimming this stuff?

Thanks if anyone does know

Hi, penthorum is a nice and relatively easy plant. Just trim it really low(leave couple of leaves though) when it is established and replant the top. With regular trimming, adequate light, CO2 and ferts will thrive.

Trimming like Antoni recommend, will make the trimmed stems produce numerous new branches, from allmost all nodes. This makes the whole plant much more dense. The numerous branches will also have far smaller leaves. The plants can actually be trimmed, to create a rather low, dense population. Good light and added CO2 is needed for this super-dense growth.
New shoots must ofcourse be trimmed too, when growing (too) long.
Without added CO2 and/or low light intensity, the growth habit of Penthorum will be more up-right.

Hopefully I have no issues with light, I have an ADA Aquasky 602 which isn't as yet fully used, flow is good tank wise and CO2 looks to be steady so far throughout the lighting period. The plants only went in 4 days ago so a bit early to start trimming, in a couple of weeks hopefully they should be

Back