• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Persistent Algae

kellyboy47

Hi,

I apologise if this is posted in the wrong forum but it might be considered Algae and/or Lighting

I have recently had an eruption of BBA which I treated with H202 both within the tank and plant dipping outside the tank. I seem to have won the war with BBA but now I am troubled by brown algae on the plants and hardscape and green algae on the glass which is an eyesore. I was wondering whether this might be a light problem now and have jotted down the lighting periods of my Juwel Helialux 920 and they are:

Dawn 9-10 White 0% Blue 40%
Sunrise 11-1 White 85% Blue 85%
Sunset 5-8 White 5% Blue 40%
Dusk 9-10.30 White 0% Blue 0%

I use Macro / Macro ferts alternate days and use Easycarbo daily and I do a 60 litre (on 180 litre tank) weekly water change

Any help gratefully received
Trev

Attachments

• P1020071.JPG
    P1020071.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 214
  • P1020070.JPG
    P1020070.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 153
Hi @kellyboy47

In order to best advise you, more information is required. Please take a look at the following for guidance:

Any water parameters that you may have measured would also be helpful. If you are using tap water, you can get a lot of useful information free of charge from your water company.

JPC

1. Size of tank in litres. 180
2. Age of the set - up. 4 months
3. Filtration. Juwel Internal Filter and Fluval U4
4. Lighting and duration. Juwel Helialux 920
5. Substrate. Tropica Aquarium Soil
6. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing. Easycarbo (daily)
7. Fertilizers used & Ratios. Macro (Potassium Nitrate/Magnesium Sulphate/Potassium Phosphate) Micro ferts (Chelated Trace) alternate days
8. Water change regime and type. 60 litres weekly and both filter material cleaned
9. Plant list + When planted. Echinodorus Bleheri & Hottonia
10. Inhabitants. 3 x Blue Acara (Large) 2 x Bolivian Ram, 1 x Rainbowfish, 5 x Corydoras
11. Full tank shot & Surface Image. Attached

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

I have lost 2 fish in the last 2 weeks ...none previously before in 2years

Attachments

• P1020077.JPG
    P1020077.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 121
  • P1020076.JPG
    P1020076.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 124
  • P1020075.JPG
    P1020075.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 111
  • P1020074.JPG
    P1020074.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 108
  • P1020073.JPG
    P1020073.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 134
Hi @kellyboy47

I have some initial observations and comments. Firstly, how did you make the measurements above? How did you prepare the tank at the outset? By which, I mean - did you opt for an ammonia-based fishless cycle? Did you add a bottled bacteria product or did you leave the tank for a couple of months to allow nitrifying bacteria to build up naturally? What is the reason for using two internal filters? Your tank seems very bare and hardly any plants. I have no experience of using Tropica Aquarium Soil but I do believe other UKAPS members should be able to help you there.

Regarding livestock, I am wondering if the Easy Carbo and H2O2 have each contributed to the demise of two of your fish.

JPC

Hi the tank was stripped down as I was moving properties in early February so the fish, hardscape and plants were all removed. I had saved about 50% of the tank conditioned water and the internal
Juwel pump and fillter were left running albeit for a 24 hour period. The Fluval was used to provide filtration to the fish in a container. I have always used 2 filters primarily to aid water circulation and before the Fluval I was using an external filter alongside the Juwel. I believe Tropica Aquarium soil is one of the best substrates as borne out in ther attached photo of the tank prior to the move. Yes, you are probably correct that the H202 might have contributed to the death of 2 of my fish who were perhaps might have been sickening for something but I have always used Easycarbo so I dont think that was a factor.

Attachments

• 20211117_193040.jpg
    20211117_193040.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 119
Apart from JAYPEECEE are there any other members who might have any answers to address this problem 😕

Have the plants been slowly deteriorating since the move? Or was there a sudden die-off?
I suspect the plant problem may be causing (or contributing to) the algae problem.
I would put some cheap stem plants in, and see if they thrive and whether they help with the algae. If they do, they can be replaced with more desirable plants as and when.

I'm using Tropica Aquarium Soil. It's like any other nutrient rich aquarium soil. From what I've read it leaches less ammonia than ADA Aquasoil.
Maybe that's the culprit. Too much nutrients and low plant mass. The brown stuff looks like a diatom outbreak. It will go away with more frequent WC and some vacuuming. Also, add as many fast growing plants as possible (i.e. guppy weed, water sprite, pothos, salvinia, etc) and a CUC.

I'm sorry to tell you that straight, but better now than later: All is wrong and there's not a way to fix it.
If you like big cichlids, forget about advanced planted tank. Only very hardy plants have a chance. (Echinodorus is ok.) Quit CO2 injection, quit artificial liquid CO2. And above all, do not use anything but pure silica substrate. Tropica Soil and similar commercial substrates should be used exclusively by advanced aquascapers who know how and why (and I personally doubt even that).
And read and learn and read and learn and... :thumbup:

Hi
Looks as though...you have been going through a maturation cycle....hence the diatoms and the crud!

You really need to get your plant mass up....with the fastest growing stems available....Hygrophila polysperma and Hygrophila difformis.
Looks at the Tutorial

The Tropica Soil could well be short of nutrients as you have had greedy root feeders previously, before the move and the break down of the aquarium!
You could add root tablets to the substrate.
Ditch the EasyCarbo for the time being....you don't have enough plant mass to warrant it, plus some plants don't like it!

Nitrate level seems quite low!
I would increase this to between 20ppm and 30ppm.

Remove as much organic/detritus as possible...clean the glass remove the Dragon Stone give it a clean.
The plants I would remove and try clean them, then replant those that are usable all in one area next to each other....this gives you more opportunity to add root tablets and stems without disturbing those plants already planted!
When doing water changes try not to disturb the substrate too much.

Seems to be a lot of ambient light in the room something to consider.
Floaters.....Amazon frogbit or Salvinia....these will help.
Ramshorn snails will help clear diatoms.
hoggie

Last edited:
Back