• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Perspective of aquascapes, layout are we doing it wrong...

Amano discussed this in articles many times. For a huge boulder in the foreground to a smaller stone at the rear. Substrate at the back as to be deep to create the hillside effect.

So finally up with my coffee and ready to explain a number of ways depth can be achieved. Thank ossie for the example of your tank I can see you have done some nice layering to achieve the depth.

So here is what I have found depth is created using the following:

1. Streets of plants/gaps/varying heights of objects/plants

So this technique is used in dutch and nature scapes with placement of objects/plants being considered to create depth. This is done by creating triangular arrangements withe the tip of the triangle going away from the viewer creating traditional perspective lines like drawing. Often these streets/paths go behind other plants/hardscape to give the appearance that they go on forever.

This can be done with pathway scapes and with gaps where substrate can be seen in nature scapes. In nature scapes and iwagumi this is often enhanced by placing hardscape/detailing that graduates.

In dutch the use of hieght is used to support this and trimming techniques to effect the size of leaves using growth patterns.

2. Colour of planting and hardscape

It seems funny but it you look at specific scapes the use of planting colour is often graduated to create tonal areas to the scape. This can be with darker plants placed in front/back or placed in focal areas to focus the eye in areas specific that help develop a sense of depth.

This I would say is rarely used but when it is really improves the scapes depth and creates detailing that takes a scape from effective to entrancing.

3. Going back to hieght

The use of hieght can be used either direction as long as the view percieves that there is a change within the scapes depth.

We use alot of banking when it comes to substrate so that plants appear to get taller at the back this is one method, but hardscape and plants that are taller at the front can also be used.

A great example of hardscape is the forest scapes you see with thicker branch's being used at the front moving to the back.

Dutch the use of taller plants like vals as curtains are used to create the sense of depth but hieght of all plant groups are considered to create the depth idea.

In fact hieght is often the most used inconjuction with detailing as size comparison makes the viewer interpret depth differently.

This is classically seen in nature scaping looking at scenes where very small twigs are placed on large rocks to create details that trick the eye.

4. Lighting of the scape

So this is by far I think the most important as it impacts the eye the most when it comes to competition tanks the lighting for the final shot is adjusted to create the shadows wanted that create the illusion of depth.

The use of spot lights, colour, lighting from the rear etc. Significantly impacts the viewers/cameras view of the scape.

Although this is mainly a nature scape technique it is used in all the styles. Casting shadows that develop a sense of depth and texture.

A great example for the Dutch scaler on this is the fact that shadow plays a role in the destination between plant groups which is why a 2 finger gap is used between plant groups.

This technique also plays a role when it comes to the large leaf at the front small at the back technique as the bigger the leave the better the shadow cast.

I think the back lit tank really play a great role in supporting depth for many as it can be graduated to mimc a landscape setting which automatically trickles the brain into thinking long distance landscapes when viewing.

The moss wall in dutch does the same as moss tends to be dark and makes the viewer feel zoned into the lit areas of the scape.

There are more but for now I will stop there encase you guys don't want me to drivel on about these things. (plus you don't want a phone full of alerts)

Let me know what you think and if you would like to know more. 😊

Yes a little pathway …
Thank you …

The same principles apply in an oil painting. The differing shade of plants ( the values ) can be placed to create depth.
Plants with darker or lighter hues are vital to create perspective and depth.
I intend to have an evolving Aquascape where I change, remove and alter the scape to improve the overall look and depth …
It is an evolution … I enjoy this aspect …

I'm still growing my tank in currently so specific plants are currently not at the correct heights and are too sparse, but I've applied quite a bit of what has been discussed in its current arrangement.

Excuse the per trim/water change look I've got to do weekly maintenance today 😑

IMG_20220904_103155.jpg

IMG_20220904_103201.jpg

IMG_20220904_103209.jpg

Amano discussed this in articles many times. For a huge boulder in the foreground to a smaller stone at the rear. Substrate at the back as to be deep to create the hillside effect.
Yes spot on the nature scape/ iwagumi requires us to surrender our disbelief and view the scape as a type of landscape.

Yes a little pathway …
Thank you …

The same principles apply in an oil painting. The differing shade of plants ( the values ) can be placed to create depth.
Plants with darker or lighter hues are vital to create perspective and depth.
I intend to have an evolving Aquascape where I change, remove and alter the scape to improve the overall look and depth …
It is an evolution … I enjoy this aspect …
Yes alot of what is happening is what painters and photographers do. Particularly use of tone, colour, composition, texture, etc.

Its really what makes aquascaping an art form more than simple model making, Horticulture and fish keeping.

Back