• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Peruvian #biotope?

ghostsword

@ghostsword
I am planing to do a Peruvian Biotope, but I am stuck for plants.

I only got these:
- Azolla filiculoides
Ranunculus limoselloides
- Distichia muscoides
- Lilaeopsis
- Elodea potamogeton
- Juncus arcticus subsp
- Myriophyllum quitensis
- Ludwigia peruviana
- Myriophyllum elatinoides
- Hydrocotyle leucocephala

Would you be able to add more?

Re: What plants for a Peruvian #biotope?

This is where people fall down with biotopes, they go "oh I want to do a such and such biotope", they then stick every single plant they can get their hands on from the region into one tank and call it a biotope.
This isn't a biotope! A biotope is an exact representation of a single habitat on a single stretch of river and as such you'd need to choose plants, if any, according to your representation/chosen range, rocks and wood too should be indicative in form and colour to those of your habitat and your species, otherwise it's just not a biotope more a vague representation of a region or regionally exclusive aquascape.

What plants for a Peruvian #biotope?

You are jumping the gun mate.

I did not said that I will put them all there. Those are the plants I know that are from Peru, a few will be chosen based on videos I have seen, as I cannot afford to go to Peru.

I am also asking on other forums for videos or photos, especially from brazilian forums as there would be a higher chance of people having visited Peru.

Also, I got a book by Kasselman that has a list of biotope plants, so would look there as well.

The biotope I have in mind, from videos I've seen, is sandy substrate, leaf litter, some wood as debris and tannin water, it may have some plants on the side, on banks, as light will not penetrate deeper than 20cm in order to grow plants.

A guy that has been there, a1matt, has said that he has seen echinodorus species on the sides of rivers.

So, good post from you, but does not apply to what I am asking. :)

Would anyone know of any other plant from Peru?

Fantastic link, this is exactly what I needed, to have an idea how it actually looks. :)

Have also contacted the Peru conservation society to see if they can put me in touch with a local to the river, so that more information is gleaned.

Thanks, it is a major change from the jungles I usually do, and it is refreshing to do something different.

To start I don't need to worry about co2, ferts or major flow.

Light is very minimal, using a TMC 200 micro led. :)

Filtration is a Fluval internal and a eheim 2013, and then 20% wc once a week.

The tank is on my room, really enjoyable to look at, to see the fish dart in and out of between the wood and leaf litter.

I planned to have the tank for two months, but like it too much now, not sure. Might do an island of crypts, and keep the fish.

Maybe a Sumatra biotope? But would then need to change the fish.

Gold tetras come from all over south america, Peru, guyana, and Venezuela.

It is my favorite tank so far. :)

Thanks George. :)

Yes xtevo, one does not need plants to make something alright. I may add some pistia, as I want to keep the tank like this until after christmas.

May add some glass bloodfin tetras, but will see how the tank develops, as I do not want to overload the tank. :)

Love it Luis! Gold tetras are a great choice too. Some fish really suite tannin stained water and low light. I keep thinking about silver tip tetras shoaling with green neons for a low lit tank :)
Apistos would be lovely in there too.
Cheers

Gavin

I was also looking towards green neons, they are smaller and a lower bioload, however the three angel fish I have there would snap them up once they grow a bit more, not fair.

Silver tips would a good choice, would like to keep it as close to a biotope as possible.

Sorry if I've missed this info somewhere, but what size is this tank??

Have you put the angels in already?
You not fancy a small Geophagus presence??

Gfish said:
Sorry if I've missed this info somewhere, but what size is this tank??

Have you put the angels in already?
You not fancy a small Geophagus presence??

The tank is 60cm by 45 cm by 45 cm, 100L tank, optiwhite tank. I would not like fish that I would struggle to reuse on other project, so apart from Tetras, neons and corydoras, only the angels are the ones tricky to reuse. :)

Alastair said:
It's on par with your comp entry in terms of my faves mate. Can't decide between the two. Oh and if your diffuser has now become unused I'll have first refusals ha ha ;0)

:) thanks mate. The diffuser is still being used on the planted tank, which is now a farm tank. :) Would like to completely rescape it, but with the optiwhite to play with there is no need to do work on the living room tank.

Very unusual look, have not seen them before. Would you know what sort of angel fish are they? From the description they would be Zebra Black, but not sure. Although they have red eyes, they are tank bred for sure.

6194292503_3afb01da8d.jpg
Untitled by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

6194809998_6750f590d9.jpg
Untitled by GHOSTSWORD, on Flick

As far as I know red eyes means they are in good health and mature. :)
Anyway such bully looking fish, love them and the tank looks really nice.

Mike

Back