• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pest snail or welcome visitor?

brokeLad

32E0D5E9-5374-4A9E-9F98-CBF5679F8BEC.jpeg
A818DAC8-04F9-48F4-BF35-787C23C4E64E.jpeg
Hi, my first tank is approx 2 weeks old with no livestock introduced yet but I spotted a snail today whilst doing a water change and wondered if it’s a keeper or a pest to get rid off?

I was going to say it depends on your attitude to snails. Then read those two replies which illustrate it perfectly. :)

The P. acuta is also a lung snail and is more like semi-aquatic, it lives also outside the water and if in the water it prefers upper regions near the surface. Therefore it doesn't really compete with true aquatic snails such as ramshorn and pond snails dwelling the deeper parts.

I have them too and over the years i still do not experience them as a pest snail. It might be that i have too soft water for them to really thrive, i don't know, but this i can't say for the Ramshorn or Pond snail, i have plenty of them thriving instead. I occasionally find one in and around the aquarium in my garden, did put them in my indoor aquariums but for some reason, they don't like to stay there.

Anyway, if you ask me!? I find them gorgeous... :)

Last edited:
Back