• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

PFK subscribers - what do you get from the magazine?

nry

I subsrcribed to PFK for 2 years - the AquaCube freebie was the main prompt initially, that and I had just got back into aquariums so it helped me get a bit up to date on things.

I cancelled the subscription last year - I found I was getting little of interest from the magazine relevant to my own fishkeeping interests.

Is this the same for you or do you get a lot from it that maybe has changed since I last read the magazine?

rawr

There has been a lot more planted aquarium related articles in the last few issues. Obviously, I think there's always a few articles that don't interest everyone but there's things like 'great planted tanks', product reviews, 'your tanks', George's new Biotope series, step-by-steps and the odd fish article that would interest most of us on this forum.

I think it's well worth the money, and can only see the number of planted aquarium articles increasing.

Superman

I subscribe to PFK and have been doing so for over a year now and I'm about 50/50 with what interests me and what doesn't.

I'm loving the more recent exposure to planted tanks but not noting loads about fishkeeping in general, I find it interesting to read up about illnesses and fish I've not kept. To see so many UKAPS members in the mag last month was great and hope that continues.

I also like reading about the news and shop information as I try and visit new shops when I'm travelling the country to see what they're like.

However, sometimes there's not much I read in the magazine and sometimes I nearly read cover to cover - guess it's hard to please everyone all of the time and I accept that. As I'm not really into ponds or marine (yet), so that information is just glossed over.

What I 100% don't like is the reptile and other pet inserts that you get from time to time and made that clear in the discussions at PFK.

Sometimes having the internet and the fishy forums that I frequent helps me know information when I need it rather than requiring to read cover to cover the PFK each month, but there are some people who don't have the internet and new fishkeepers will in general turn to a magazine to get a quick list of things they need to know before going down the hobby.

I keep all of the back copies just incase I need to reference something for the future.

I'd love to contribute sometime to the magazine but just don't have a suitable story to provide.

Joecoral

I like PFK. There are some very interesting articles in there on planted tanks, reef tanks, as well as some good features on people's personal tanks.
However I do find the majority of the content is aimed at beginners and those new to the aquarium scene, which I find frustrating, as maybe only 1 or 2 articles per issue are of interest and don't repeat things I already know
My £0.02 worth

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I have been a subscriber for about 5-6 years and never got any freebies from them!! Where is the justice :p
I like the mag, even know I am more intrested in planted tanks, I like reasing the marine stuff and also enjoy the Q&A.
Usually go through all the articles in the magazine no matter for what type of tanks they are, also enjoy pond stuff (even though I have no garden) hehe all in all a good read.

nry

I am tempted to re-subscribe, the freebie is worthless for me at the mo (Fluval heater), and they do now have a £20 per 6mnths cost which is better than the outright £40 odd for 12 months.

fish.com1

I have been subscriobing since last christmas (christmas present :D ), and I love, the articles. In fact it was the ADA contest article in the september? issue that triggered my interest in planted tanks. I read most of the articles, and got the free rena smartheater when i subscribed.

AdAndrews

to be honest, i dont really learn all that much from it anymore, getting past the beginner stage in a number of different aspects of the hobby just makes pfk a good read.. i usually just get it as something nice to read, intresting and becuase i pick up a few tips here and there.. i am waiting for a good gift to subscribe for, something i actually need, i was going to do it this month and get the heater, but i dont need it so i will hang on for a bit

nickmcmechan

i find it intersting and 50% of the time i'll read it cover to cover, the other 50% it goes in the recycling bin without much of a read which is why i cancelled my subscription

i'm dissapointed with the scottish LFS coverage. i challenged them on that to only get a response of it being too expensive due to travel costs...this exasperated me as they seem to able to send people on exotic missions around the world...so i think the response they gave me was BS: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/f ... hp?t=41275 ....and then claim they had a tough time....yeah right

my concern lately about the mag is the fragrant advertising within the text of articles that wouldn't be allowed on most forums...this needs to be more balanced to support the trade as a whole

the bit i really like this month was aaronnorth's tank article - well done m8!