• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PFK Trop Idol - Planted Tanks Round

Another thumbs up from me for Daniel, I liked his tank in the first round as well.

I was going to vote for Paul because he added houseplants to his planted tank, but I figured with him being new to plants people should cut him some slack, I think most of us have made that mistake at some point, plus I liked his biotope.

I voted based on both rounds and for me Andrew had to go, it's a pretty silly reason, his tanks just didn't do it for me, it's trop idol and I expected some pretty inspiring setups which the others managed on some level wheras Andrew's tanks just weren't inspiring or trop idol worthy in my eyes.

:twisted: So come on who did you all vote out? :twisted:

I just shake my head at this series. If this is an example of fish keepers in this country, then its very sad.
This is why im so much more into the planted tank scene.

Sorry, off my soap box now.

Graeme Edwards said:
I just shake my head at this series. If this is an example of fish keepers in this country, then its very sad.

He he, that was harsh!I must admit to not being that impressed with the first round though. One of the tanks seemed quite overstocked (can't remember whos) and giving the excuse of "when they get too big I'll move them on" doesn't really cut it. Also, although 'biotope' is a bit vague (just see the comments on AGA) choosing a biotope of "South America" is just ridiculous. Also, wasn't there anubias in an australian them tank?

I don't expect for people to know the rivers where species come from but I don't think much research was done. Regarding the planted tanks, I didn't think they were overly special and got the impression for a few of them real plants were a bit of a novelty. Are we being too critical?

I'd have to agree :bored: Are these guys suposedly the best in the UK?

Daniel's tanks are the only ones that look anywhere near nice in my opinion. One point though, is that actually a Brazillian biotiope or African? Everything I see is African (Congo's, Anubias, Bolbitis etc) :rolleyes: Misprint?? But it is the nicest looking tank out of the lot. The planted tank also stands out a mile compared with the others.

Tom

I agree Danials are the best so far.

Biotope tanks really get my goat. People clearly dont grasp the concept of biotope. I was abit bemused about the amazon tank with congo tetras, Printing error maybe????.
I wonder what criteria they had to meet to be a part of this?

All i want to see is the level of fish keeping improve in the UK. I blame retailers for poor advice and poor insparation.

Graeme.

Graeme Edwards said:
All i want to see is the level of fish keeping improve in the UK. I blame retailers for poor advice and poor insparation.
Graeme.

There are still far too many retailers, including the chains, who mislabel tanks and omit latin names. Are they worried of scaring off people by putting latin names on tanks? Even accurate common names would be a start. Almost every shop now has just "Otocinclus" on a tank. A species would be nice! One I saw this lunchtime had a tank labelled "Ram". They were Bolivian incidentally. It's all very sloppy, and now I'm depressed. :rolleyes:

The planted tank hobby is improving in the UK. It won't happen overnight, but in little steps. I know some of us may feel passionately about this but try not to get aggressive about it, please.

Remember that many fishkeepers, and indeed retailers, 'old' or not, aren't regular forum users like us, so aren't constantly exposed to the 'latest' techniques and ideas.

A forum like this in particular has a very high standard of shared knowledge, experience etc., so I think our perception of what is a 'normal' standard may be skewed somewhat.

I will never forget how I felt when I started out in the planted tank hobby. Totally overwhelmed by all the conflicting info and jargon. I think most entrants will admit they're not experienced with plants, biotopes or even aquascaping.

Maybe they'll teach us a few things about breeding and marine set ups in the next rounds...

Finally, I don't think the contesants are necessarily supposed to be the best in the UK. They're just the one's that volunteered, and I think there were surprisingly few - including no females for some reason.

I may enter next year, if I'm allowed...

Finally, I don't think the contesants are necessarily supposed to be the best in the UK. They're just the one's that volunteered, and I think there were surprisingly few - including no females for some reason.

I didn't realise this competition existed until this month when I saw the two catagories so far. I would have volunteered if I knew it was happening. I just assumed that they had been selected because of expertise in certain fields or something. :wideyed: I didn't realise anyone could enter :rolleyes:

Tom

I think theres less reasons to get it wrong now than there ever has been.
Perhaps its clear that these people arnt very plant minded. But George has been writing plant articles for some time now, so the information is there in the magazien they take part in.
I apreciate that if your not part of a forum like this, knoladge can be limited. I came on leaps and bounds when getting onto TFF, for which im extremely gratefull.
I think the thing that is very aparant in fish keeping, is just that, they keep fish, not an aquarium, so dont busy them selfs with the asctetics of the interior or the exterior of the aquarium, as long as the fish has a bridge to hide under, the light shows the fish, then thats enough for some poeple. For me these people are just after pretty colors and relaxing movement, which is fine, but the trop idle is after something ells from what I can gather.
I conciderd entering my self, but with some heavy personal situations at home it wasnt a good time, maybe next year ill go for it.

George Farmer said:
Maybe they'll teach us a few things about breeding and marine set ups in the next rounds...

I am also dissapointed by the standard of these tanks, it is a competition after all, so they are in effect inviting people to critique them... My two gripes being, 1/ There is obviously no knowledge there of how the plants will look after they have 'grown into' the tanks. 2/ Using non-aquatic plants :wideyed:

But! I then take into consideration that it is clearly an 'all round knowledge' competiton, so all could be forgiven if the next rounds are impressive enough. I know nowt about breeding (unless it is Guppies :lol: ) and marines after all.

I am curious as to whether the general level of knowledge of planted tanks in the UK is being genuinely reflected by the trop idol comp. As a comparison, for instance... How many of the entrants to one of the global plant contests (I think one is called AGA?) come from the UK... and what standard do they tend to reach?

George Farmer said:
The planted tank hobby is improving in the UK. It won't happen overnight, but in little steps

Too true!
The knowledge being shared over the net now is awesome, it just takes a long time to become more common knowlege.

I spoke to one LFS owner/manager near me (Kent/London borders) and they don't stock many plants because they struggle to keep them alive long enough to sell them. I've taught him a tiny bit, but he does struggle with it (though he can grow anemones, which equally gobsmacks me). I find him inspiring though, because he keeps trying and aspires to holding a full range of plants with a planted show tank to boot. :D

I have to say after seeing the biotopes and reading the profiles in the magazine I was totally uninterested in the whole thing. The standard didn't seem very high (and I mean no offence to the contestants here but it's how I feel) and the first 'round' with the biotope tanks were pretty awful IMO. I think some of that was the size and budget restrictions, but they could have quite easily done a Rio Negro Biotope with a bit of research, some dead leaves and branchy bogwood. Add a shoal of Cardinals or Pencilfish, a pair of Apistogramma nijsseni and job done. There's so much information online that it's a bit criminal to get it as wrong as some did. On the whole I think it's a bit of a 'miss' for PFK who are usually so good with their ideas. I'm slightly worried at what the marine round will bring...

Back