• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PFK Trop Idol - Planted Tanks Round

Themuleous said:
I have a hillstream biotope, with two tiger hillstreams, barley cost me 40quid! Although I guess I'd not get very many points for difficulty! Its just a tank with rocks in and the hillstreams! :lol: They'd probably say the rocks weren't from the same region too!

Sam

Well you didn't stick Congo tetras in there so better than some of the competitors....

I would have entered as well had I known about it, I know 1 woman entered and that was it. I don't consider myself trop idol material but after seeing what was on offer I'm sure I couldn't have done any worse and maybe even done a little better then some of them :p

Azaezl said:
I would have entered as well had I known about it, I know 1 woman entered and that was it. I don't consider myself trop idol material but after seeing what was on offer I'm sure I couldn't have done any worse and maybe even done a little better then some of them :p

I can see the headline next year... PFK Planted tank competition are pleased to announce 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places all go to UKAPS members :p ;) lol.

Joking apart I have respect for all the contestants because they have actually entered and given it their best. I'm old fashioned like that (...it's the taking part not the winning that counts).

a1Matt said:
Joking apart I have respect for all the contestants because they have actually entered and given it their best. I'm old fashioned like that (...it's the taking part not the winning that counts).

Here here.

I spoke with the PFK editorial about this yesterday. Apparently I asked to enter before it started (I can't remember) but I wasn't allowed. Nevermind. I'd be crap at breeding and marine anyway!

Next year I'll enter, seems like fun to me. I've always wanted an excuse to go marine.

SteveUK said:
Especially if they are providing most of the equipment and a small wedge of cash to set it up ;) Wonder if they get to keep the tanks at the end of the competition?

I'm pretty sure they do keep all the tanks.

TDI-line said:
SteveUK said:
Especially if they are providing most of the equipment and a small wedge of cash to set it up ;) Wonder if they get to keep the tanks at the end of the competition?

I'm pretty sure they do keep all the tanks.

Really? Although I've never kept a marine fish in my life, I'm even tempted to enter now! :lol:

PFK is a great magazine, especially for the beginner. I wouldn't class my self as a beginner, but when I was, PFk was the place to gain info and inspiration. I only wish when i was just starting out, articles like Georges where in there then.
Its Great to see PFK embrace the planted tank phenomenon with both hands. Its a great way to encourage new and old aquarists to try new things, and for me, they should all try proper planted tanks, theres no going back when they do, and with the advice George is giving and places like this, the chances of them getting it right are far greater now than when i first started out.
I should hold my judgment back as far as trop Idle goes, these guys may be magga fish breeders, so of coarse they are not going to be to ascetically minded, im sure its function over form for many fish breeders, and perhaps their down fall is in rounds that are heavy on ascetics but thier accolades will be in the breeding!

Bring on Plant Factor!!! Round one Iwagumi. Round 2 Dutch. Round 3 Biotope. Round 4 Nature aquarium.

Hmm, an email to PFK?? What do you think?

Graeme.

I've just got a copy of the new PFK and I've looked through the trop idol article. It's good to see that they've got photos of the first round as well to refresh the memory. I think I was probably too critical and the tanks were OK, and it also occurred to me that we don't know how long these people had to create the tanks. If they were just given a few days or even a week to submit a plan (which they had to stick to) that's not too long to do lots of research, remembering that they've probably got day jobs too. Also biotopes are tricky, because very few have lots of vegetation and LFS are notorious for having a poor choice of materials. It would be interesting to see what the budget was spent on by each person. One bought 6 or so chocolate gouramies - that must have blown the budget on their own!

Now the series has got alot more attention, I'm sure next year the standard will be a lot higher. Have to remember that before entering!

I think people are being critical because so far what's been seen isn't very special and yet, it's been billed as the cream of the UK. People were expecting better.

beeky said:
I think people are being critical because so far what's been seen isn't very special and yet, it's been billed as the cream of the UK. People were expecting better.
Very true Beeky, I think this is the point, we are not expecting the contestants to be experts, but we do expect better than this, and quite rightly. If my efforts were going to be splashed all over the pages of PFk, I would have done more research.

Back