• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ph lowering substrates

afroturf

I reciently aquired some wild type betta (betta coccina) they are currently in an tank with some standard aquarium gravel and a little play sand. The fish require a ph of 4-6 and dh ideally of 0-4. I use a shoddy ro unit (gives a dh of 2-4) and have added some oak and catappa leaves but the ph and dh slowly rise over the course of a week. I can only imagin that it is the substrate that is causing this.

I don't really want to change the substrate as there a quite a few crypts in there and I don't like upsetting my new fish. But it looks like i'll have to.

Would it be worth buying ada amazonia or should i stick to a inert gravel? Are there any other substrates that help lower the ph other thank ada amazonia?

Regards.

Both Aqua Soil and Akadama will initially lower GH a bit and KH (and pH) a lot. But over a few weeks this will diminish so after then it won't make that much difference to the water chemistry. This is common with a lot of fired clay based substrates. But having a clay based substrate will mean that it will be much easier to keep the pH down with indian almond leaves or similar than a standard aquarium gravel.

James

Back