• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH tester for PH profile.

Nick potts

I have a cheap amazon ph meter but it is rubbish and takes ages to stabilise and even then I don't trust the result.

Anyone recommend a decent meter or even a decent kit that is easy to read.

Thanks

Hi all,
Some pH pappers are pretty good as well, @X3NiTH or @dw1305 or others might be able to enlighten us.
The <"narrow range papers"> are OK, you need a white tile etc. and they don't work very well in low ionic strength solutions ("unbuffered" solutions in the quote). They are OK to confirm what you already know, but not very useful in very soft water etc.

If you really were keen on pH papers for testing, in normal tank water, I would definitely buy the <"pH-Fix Indicator Strips">.
........ Measurement of pH value is possible even in unbuffered or very weakly buffered solutions since the sticks can be left in the solution until the final colour change is completed..........
Compared to buying conductivity meter and <"watching the state of your snail shells">? <"Shells"> and <"meter"> every time for me.

cheers Darrel

The Hannah pen is fairly accurate, it correlated closely with a brand new single junction probe I put on my controller, I calibrated them at the same time using the same reference solutions (4 and 7). Dip type devices like the Hannah pen really need calibrated every time you remove it from its storage solution and go to use it (for accuracy). When using it to perform a profile you’ll want to keep the probe in the tank the entire time and switch it on to take measurements (it’ll auto power down after a few minutes).

Using a pH meter (or controller) with a BNC connected probe for long period immersion measurement is the easiest, as long as it is calibrated. Single junction probes will wear out and be harder to calibrate for accuracy over time so if you want the highest accuracy and longevity you will need a Double Junction probe, unfortunately finding one at sub £100 prices is not common, Apex Neptune comes to mind.

The more accuracy you want and better ease of use won’t be in the cheap bracket unfortunately.

As long as you don’t mind slight/extreme drifting inaccuracy over long term submersion measurements then single junction probes would suffice on a meter/controller, enough to perform months of accurate profiles at least. If you need monitoring or controlling accurately long term then using double junction probes will give you better mileage.

I wouldn’t trust the accuracy of my eyes performing profile changes in 0.1 pH increments and testing using colorimetry either with liquid indicators or paper indicators. Good for top and bottom of profiles though, also good for determining the atmospheric equilibrium CO2 pH if you shake the beejeezus out a liquid colorimetric test or let a paper test stabilise in colour (colour changes as CO2 coms out of solution).

:)

Thanks, Both

I think a meter will be the best bet, i struggle with colours anyway and the subtle colours on most test kits are a no go for me.

I'll have a look at the Hanna ones, always had good results with there pocket checkers

The Hannah pen is fairly accurate, it correlated closely with a brand new single junction probe I put on my controller, I calibrated them at the same time using the same reference solutions (4 and 7). Dip type devices like the Hannah pen really need calibrated every time you remove it from its storage solution and go to use it (for accuracy). When using it to perform a profile you’ll want to keep the probe in the tank the entire time and switch it on to take measurements (it’ll auto power down after a few minutes).

Using a pH meter (or controller) with a BNC connected probe for long period immersion measurement is the easiest, as long as it is calibrated. Single junction probes will wear out and be harder to calibrate for accuracy over time so if you want the highest accuracy and longevity you will need a Double Junction probe, unfortunately finding one at sub £100 prices is not common, Apex Neptune comes to mind.

The more accuracy you want and better ease of use won’t be in the cheap bracket unfortunately.

As long as you don’t mind slight/extreme drifting inaccuracy over long term submersion measurements then single junction probes would suffice on a meter/controller, enough to perform months of accurate profiles at least. If you need monitoring or controlling accurately long term then using double junction probes will give you better mileage.

I wouldn’t trust the accuracy of my eyes performing profile changes in 0.1 pH increments and testing using colorimetry either with liquid indicators or paper indicators. Good for top and bottom of profiles though, also good for determining the atmospheric equilibrium CO2 pH if you shake the beejeezus out a liquid colorimetric test or let a paper test stabilise in colour (colour changes as CO2 coms out of solution).

Thanks @X3NiTH

Apart from doing a profile i will not be using it, i don't tend to check my PH.

I have just been offered an JBL controller (looks to be an older style), would this be preferable over a stick type meter. I am not sure what type of sensor it uses.

JBL-ProFlora-pH-Control-CO2-pH-Computer .jpg

It’ll use a BNC type probe, any would suffice, the best single junction probes I had were bought from China for less than a Fiver each so easy to replace, the worst probes were sourced in the UK and were 3x the price and since it was controlling CO2 killed my Kubotai because they couldn’t hold calibration in the first 24hrs when long immersed, showed climbing pH when it was actually plummeting due to added CO2, I wasn’t around to catch the mistake and I paid the price!

Back