• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

phosphate with EI - higher than 3 ppm?

From the pictures the plants and fish all look fine to me. Is the complaint about GSA on the back glass (it's hard to tell in the photo)? If so, I'd scrape that down and do a water change and declare victory really.
There wasn't really a complaint as such Andy, the whole point of my recent "experience" was lowering the fertiliser dosage to see what happened. Gsa appeared on some plant leaves, which was the reason why I posted in this thread.
Having said that there's always room for improvement. 🙂

@John q

if you really want to explore the Chemical and fertilizer side of the world, then I highly suggest making your own fertilizer from scratch which will give you full control over what you add in your aquarium. as of right now we can only modify what you got but results would be better when you have full control over all the nutrients. I have also suggested some area for improvement for TNC Trace Elements if you could get those chemicals. this recipe should work and we can improve it as needed. far as adding more K, we will see how plant react to this recipe first before we make additional changes to the K. if you are worry about dosing Urea then you can aim for 1 ppm N from KNO3, but the results will be different. I would recommend Tenso Cocktail over TNC if you can find it.

240 liter aquarium

Water parameter, keep this the same and no need to add more Ca or Mg
Ca 6.6 ppm
Mg 1.18 ppm

500 ml, 20 ml per 240 L

Stock Solution #1 (maintain 0.1-0.2 Fe total weekly)

24.33 grams MgSO4.7H2O

Mg 0.400000
S 0.527710

7.143 grams TNC Trace Elements
Fe 0.1
B 0.0125
Mn 0.0216 (try to raise this to 0.07 or so)
Mo 0.0017 (try to raise this to 0.004 or so)
Zn 0.0138
Cu 0.0027 (try to raise this to 0.006 or so)

3.75 grams DTPA Fe 8%

Fe 0.05

Stock Solution #2 (dose 2-3X week to maintain 2-3 ppm N)

21.62 grams KNO3

NO3 2.21
N 0.5
K 1.4

6.43 grams Urea CO(NH2)2
N 0.5

3.525 grams KH2PO4
PO4 0.41
P 0.133
K 0.168
Is it a new formula? what do you apply?

@medlight
that was just a suggested formula if John wanted to try it, I only modified few things based on what he has available. sorry I quite didn't fully understand what you meant by "New Formula"?

¿Es una nueva fórmula? que aplicas
hh.JPG

This is a compound with which I work, because here in Spain the resources to get quicos are scarce, this complex is based on EDTA AND supplemented with FERRIC GLUCONATE

View attachment 179029
This is a compound with which I work, because here in Spain the resources to get quicos are scarce, this complex is based on EDTA AND supplemented with FERRIC GLUCONATE
Am not seeing any EDTA based chemicals in that list, all I see is SO4 based chemicals. Like I said if you are trying to copy the above numbers, I wouldn't recommend this one in your situation.

Am not seeing any EDTA based chemicals in that list, all I see is SO4 based chemicals. Like I said if you are trying to copy the above numbers, I wouldn't recommend this one in your situation.
1 * Sorry, I have not been understood, due to my bad expression, that what is in the yellow box is a complex of commercial buses (gardening) that we have in our country, as I mentioned before, due to the limitation of chemicals.
2 * since in your proposal you use the Mo at 0.004 and here it is not possible to get molybdenum, recalculate so that the compound stays at 0.004.
3 * resulting in MICROS BASE CONTRIBUTIONS to get 0.15 of Fe
+ 0,050009 the ferric gluconate
4 * the rest of the micros to reach CONCENTRATION TO SEARCH I apply it with the chemicals that I can get based on as you have seen from SO4.
5 * The only commercial bus complex that we can get is the SEACHEN TRACE ,,,, but as we already know these complex are truly water.
6 * As Faith we have only individually
-a ferric gluconate
-b Hierro quelado Fe (Hierro quelado EDDHA 6%)
333.JPG

Firstly just like to apologise to @Andy Pierce for taking this thread down a long and winding path.

if you are worry about dosing Urea then you can aim for 1 ppm N from KNO3

21.62 grams KNO3
NO3 2.21
N 0.5
K 1.4
I have some urea on order but admittedly a bit reluctant to add it to the aquarium, especially as i have a good fish load.
Reading your above quote, will this work if I add 40g of KNO3 to the mix ~ resulting in 4.29 KNO3 0.97 N.

Plan to do another thread covering this, but would appreciate any input.

Last edited:
Last week I drastically changed my fertiliser regime so thought I'd better post an update in this thread regards the progress on 4ppm phosphate dosing. These pictures were taken 10 minutes ago and you can see the gsa has been eradicated on the pennywort. For me this experimental chapter is concluded.

Maybe hard to tell but these pictures represent some new and some old growth at various levels within the tank.

20220114_175126.jpg

20220114_175130.jpg

20220114_175147.jpg

20220114_175050.jpg

20220114_175242.jpg

Cheers.

Four month follow-up (Fighting algae with more phosphate - Fireplace aquarium) on the concept of using high phosphate to precipitate non-chelated iron as a green spot algae control measure (phosphate with EI - higher than 3 ppm?) and I'm very happy to say the green spot algae has essentially completely disappeared. Where I used to need to scrape down the tank walls every three weeks or so, I haven't had to do that once in the last four months since boosting the phosphate in EI dosing to 7 ppm. I don't know if the suggested mechanism is the reason why this works, but I'm not going to argue with success. Interestingly, I do still get green algae, but in the condensation on the lid of the tank and not in the water column and this algae wipes off easily.

Back