• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Photo library of plants ?

Tony Swinney

Hi all

I'm just starting out on my first planted tank venture, and this forum is providing both excellent information, and beautiful inspiration !

One thing that I am struggling with is identifying the plants I want, as in knowing the names of the plants I have seen in pics which I would like to try. Is there a list or thread anywhere of plants with nice a nice photo and its name shown ? I look at AE and TGM for their Tropica plants, but the illustrations arent that great. And when I read through peoples journals with their tank pics, with a list of what is planted, its often hard to know which plant is which.

How about a sticky thread in which folks could upload pics of specific plants with its name ? I dont think any further info is needed, as its available elsewhere, just a simple way for us newbies to know the names of plants !

For those with a bit of photoshop skill, a full tank shot, with an overlay map showing the names of each each plant in situ would be pretty cool ! I'd happily do this for folks if anyone is interested - perhaps one of the mods could send a pic and a description of what is what and we could see how it works ?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Tony

Have you got a copy of the Tropica catalogue? When I first planted my tank I knew nothing about what species was what, but the Tropica catalogue has a picture and description and how to keep it, of every plant.

Hi Hellohefalump

I havent got the Tropica catalogue yet, though it is on my AE shopping list ! I expect that the images in it are probably the same as those on their website, which I dont find too inspiring!

Heres the Tropica image of Rotala, and below is one from the forum (from one of George Farmers blogs - I hope you dont mind me borrowing it George :) !) and one of Blyxa (again from Georges thread :) )

Please excuse (and correct !) any incorrect names I've used, as I'm new to these things !!!

Tropica_Rotala.jpg

Rotala_1.jpg

Blyxa_1.jpg

I think a thread of pics like the one above would help newbies ID the plants they want. The next step could be full tank pics like this, with plants ID'd - again I've pinched one of Georges pics of "Harlequinn Heaven", and may well have the names wrong, but you get the idea ! :)

HH_test1.jpg

Tony

Thanks for the info - plant geek looks very good !

I read through your post Aaron, and it seems its just too big a mission for anyone to do, and perhaps uneccessary with the likes of plant geek already out there. :bored:

I think the 'tank-map' as above would be really useful though. If everyone could have one of those in their journal it would become a great place in which to spot plants you like, and you would know the name so could then head off to research it.

If anyone has a tank pic and wants it 'indexed' as above, drop me a PM. Perhaps we could start this off ??? :)

Cheers

Tony

I think a web based database wouldn't be a problem to create, given the proper setup. Even then, if you don't want anything unique, you could use a wikibased program that'll use php and mysql databases. Plus, I would of thought that a plant database would be a good way of getting ukaps more exposure.

I'm not sure what the web hosting is like a ukaps, but I don't mind writing the php code and design the databases. Might take me a few weeks given I'm working.

Back