photo shop

Discussion in 'Photography' started by john starkey, 20 Aug 2009.

1. john starkey

john starkey Member

Hi all, I will be getting a mac book soon,can you guys recommend an photo editing program,
    regards john.

2. Superman

Superman Member

I used Adobe Photoshop but I'm a basic user.
    I'm well impressed with it and love it for what I use it for.

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

PS is tricky at first, but seriously, when you get to grips with even the basics you'll be glad you use it.

4. john starkey

john starkey Member

Thanks Clarke and saintly,I guessed most people use the ps one,
    john

5. rawr

rawr Member

I'm useless with photo editing and stuff but can recommend a program called THE GIMP.

It's free (just do a Google or something) and it's pretty easy to use - a nice program to get the hang of things. I'm not sure if there's a Mac version though.

6. john starkey

john starkey Member

cheers rawr I'll have look at that one,
    john

7. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

I use Lightroom 2 and CS3. It`s a shame you are a Mac user, John.

Dave.

8. john starkey

john starkey Member

I'm not a mac user yet I've still to get one,I've never heard of those programs ,
    cheers dave

9. Superman

Superman Member

CS3 is an earlier version of Photoshop, the current one is CS4.

10. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

I'll sort you out with cs4 john, I buy massive user licenses for my studio.

Bring on the mac fella, there are a large number of folk on here who would no don't thank me to some extent for their mac migration and the saying IS true, once you've had a mac, you'll never go back!

(bring it on steveUK and LD lol)

11. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Sorry mate, I'm one of the three people in this Solar System to go back. I just couldn't deal with the single button mouse (it's just another system of control). :geek: But as you know, I'm a psychotic nitrate lover, so the rules don't apply to me (Mr. Anderson). :shh:

Cheers,

12. john starkey

john starkey Member

Danny boy your a star mate,see if you can do it in time for Tgm next month,
    see ya fella.

13. John - do not get a mac! Seriously dude, no! :lol: For the price you pay for a Mac, you can get a good monitor and build a much better PC. Tried Mac, gone back!

Opinions, obviously :rolleyes:

14. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

You going for a Mac Book John? I'm jealous mate! I still owe you computer help mate, so anything I can do to help, let me know :)

15. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

just to take it slightly off topic. we used mac minis on my photography course in college this year and after a full term of them I was glad to get rid and back to my PC. I know they are great and they are designed for DTP but I just couldnt get my head around the way the op-sys worked :twisted: Never again.. :)

16. ^Yay! :thumbup: no, Macs are nice I suppose, very stylish - but I think PC's are just so much easier. Everything seems overcomplicated on a Mac

17. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

John - Once you've mastered the basics on Photoshop, I think you'll be amazed how it can enhance your photography. If I get time I'll try to post some 'before and after' shots on here. I bet some other members could show some off too...

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Macs, after 20+years as a PC user, but it's a personal choice. Is there a way you can trial one first? The Operating System is a little different to Windows and may take you time to adjust. I'm sure Dan would give you a hand though...

18. Graeme Edwards

Graeme Edwards Founder Staff Member

I have the MacBook Air, its the shizzle. It took abit of getting ust too, but its really easy after a while.
    When I jump on a PC now with Vista I just curse at the dam thing, load of rubish, Mac Mac Mac for me guys. 8)

19. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

I like Macs, I love how they look so sleek and sexy,and are very good for photo/video editing. The saying is so very true "pc users swear at their computers, mac users swear by their computers", but I will still always stick with a pc for the forseeable future. I don't like the idea of paying for something I could build myself for less than half the price, even if it is more reliable. Bill Gates well and truly has me by the balls lol

But how will you make your call, if you are unable to speak?

20. john starkey

john starkey Member

Re: photo shop and lap top choice help

Right then you guys,
    all I ever do on a laptop is surf the net,photos,the odd letter,I don't do anything technical cuz I wouldn't have a clue anyway,so if you guys could recommend a good laptop ( don't want a monitor )with good battery life so I can watch a film in my truck,and something that is between 13/15 inch screen,then I'm all ears,oh and not too heavy :lol:
    So basically help me choose a lap top if you think I won't get the benefit from a mac book,
    regards john