• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pic Heavy thread - Fish, Shrimps and Aquascaping Thailand

Thanks Bandersnatch for taking the effort in writing this up. I was in BK for a month in March and wanted to do a write-up on JJ market, unfortunately I left my iphone at the apartment and only took my simple no-camera phone. Looks like you beat me to it!

It really is an amazing place, well over 100+ petshops all right next door to each other ranging from large air-con'd professional stores to tin shacks with fish in buckets. Every time i'm in Thailand I spend a whole day just wandering around the JJ market pet zone and even then not getting to see everything.. I didn't know there were fish shops in the mall as well! will definitely check them out next time I need a break from the heat of the outdoor market.

There is a huge amount of variety in the market and over the years I have been going I have also noticed the increase in plants and aquascaping. You still see a lot of shops focusing on Arrowanas, Discus and Flowerhorn Cichlids but you don't see many shops stocking Rainbowfish, West African Dwarf or great lake Cichlids. I have never seen an Oscar in the market for example. A couple of years ago there was even a shop owned and run by an american 'Farang' but didn't find him on my last visit.

For tourists it's good for picking up small bit's of equipment cheap as you can't really stick some heavy or delicate items in your luggage to take back, at least that's what my wife has told me. I don't know what the law is but i'm pretty sure taking livestock and plants through customs without appropriate documentation is a no no, it's a real shame as i'm always half tempted to buy myself a squirrel wearing a dress (yes, you really can buy a squirrel wearing a dress here). I did once bring back a portion of java moss that cost 20 baht i.e. 50pence. It completely filled one of those plastic take away cartons and when you compare to how much you get for for a couple of quid it's a real shame that bringing plants back isn't really allowed.

I've decided this is my next holiday, looking like April 2014 any tips welcome, love to see a betta breeders place
There are a couple of shops in JJ market that only sell Bettas, i'd guess roughly 100 tanks with removable card dividers so you can see them flare at the neighbour. Lot's of trophies on the walls too so i'm guessing they are top quality. There are definitely betta breeders that you can visit in BK just google them.

There are a couple of shops in JJ market that only sell Bettas, i'd guess roughly 100 tanks with removable card dividers so you can see them flare at the neighbour. Lot's of trophies on the walls too so i'm guessing they are top quality. There are definitely betta breeders that you can visit in BK just google them.
thanks for that i will a bit nearer the time

Lo all, just joined.

I should be starting a journal soon but at the moment the tanks bare and the stand I am
building is just lumps of wood that need sanding. :)

However thought you might find this interesting.
Bit of background I've been back and forth around Thailand for years as I have friends and
family who live there, I haven't been for about 6 years and was curious to see if shrimps and
aquascaping had taken hold, so I went for a wander in Chatuchak market, this place is quite
famous its a huge 35 acre market that sells an amazing amount of that.

But for the fishkeeper if you manage to work your way through its labyrinth (seriously people
I know who live in BKK still get lost), then you can see some amazing fish.

I should add a bit of a disclaimer here, you will see some pics of fish being sold in bags
(even up to koi almost a foot long), and there's often places that sell animals they shouldn't
(although its not as bad as it used to be there's still creatures that shouldn't be sold and
are CITES protected), as well as some things that would be frankly dangerous to own, (venomous
snakes of all varieties).

I don't agree with it and don't want to upset anyone but there's a couple of pics you
may find offensive because of this apologies but I thought they were worth adding for the
interest factor.

Anyway enough ramble here is some pics... BTW sorry taken on camera phone my camera died just
before leaving :(

First some shots of Chatachuk.

View attachment 34322

View attachment 34323

Its a warren of little paths selling all sorts of fishkeeping stuff.

View attachment 34324

Need to buy some substrate?

View attachment 34325

Or tanks? There's places that sell nothing but tanks all shapes all sizes. (10 baht is about 22p btw)

View attachment 34326

View attachment 34327

And of course fish.

This area always used to be leery of people taking pics, because of the CITES issues etc.

This shop would not let me take photos inside, but here's something sitting in the window considering what's in there it was a shop you would hope they keep the tanks with really tight lids.

View attachment 34328

And since we have shown the fish in bags. I should mention not all places do sell them like that and you will see some of the most healthy fish you'll ever see for sale (probably helps a lot of them are coming from commercial breeders outside BKK so there's little travel stress and changes in water chemistry).

This is about £25K of Arrowana, that's not a small amount here in a country where workers might only earn about £3 a day....

View attachment 34329

Hi. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but do you know any aquascaping stores near Khon Kaen, Thailand?
Thankyou

I am also in Thailand a few times a year as my company has an office in Bangkok and i normally find time for a spot of fishing while i am there, which is a bonus. Got lost walking around Chatuchak in March, it has to be one of the biggest markets on earth and the hottest! amazing place though, took me an hour to find my way out :crazy:
Definitely a thriving scaping scene in Thailand now which is great to see. Thanks for posting :thumbup:

Back