• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pictures of Tanks Using Cat litter Please

ale36

Hello I've seen a lot of post of people using cat litter as a substrate for their tanks, i decided that i want to replace the gravel in one of my tanks so wanted to see some pics of your tanks using cat litter as its something i never used or seen before, if you could post your pictures and brand names would be very helpful

2YNOT28.jpg

Go for this , bargain and looks like jbl manado ( probably just as good) .
Needs a lot of rinsing but I found of you do very small amounts at a time it rinses better and quicker .
Cheers

2YNOT28.jpg

Go for this , bargain and looks like jbl manado ( probably just as good) .
Needs a lot of rinsing but I found of you do very small amounts at a time it rinses better and quicker .
Cheers

Yep this is the one most use myself included when I originally set my old high tech up. Ill find the pic if I can.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Is this what most people use to cap soil substrate like john innes no 3? I'm thinking to do this as I want a low maintenance tank as I keep forgetting to dose my tank with ferts. Help me get this right If the cat litter is used on its own I would still have to dose EI as it has no nutrient but a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) so when combined with a nutrient rich soil ( john innes no 3) this would mean that I wouldn't not need to add any nuttiness as the plants would feed from the soil and the cat litter would replenish from the water column any used up nutrients?

Well the soil will provide the nutrients for the cat litter. You shouldn't find yourself dosing EI for a very very long time as soil substrates will contain more than enough nutrients in my opinion to last for ages!

Is this what most people use to cap soil substrate like john innes no 3? I'm thinking to do this as I want a low maintenance tank as I keep forgetting to dose my tank with ferts. Help me get this right If the cat litter is used on its own I would still have to dose EI as it has no nutrient but a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) so when combined with a nutrient rich soil ( john innes no 3) this would mean that I wouldn't not need to add any nuttiness as the plants would feed from the soil and the cat litter would replenish from the water column any used up nutrients?

Personally I use sand to cap soil, purely for aesthetic reasons - cat litter always looks like cat litter to me! The soil itself has a pretty good CEC so an inert cap is fine. I dose almost nothing in my soil tanks, unless the floating/emergent plants are looking a bit sad, which is rare.

Personally I use sand to cap soil, purely for aesthetic reasons - cat litter always looks like cat litter to me! The soil itself has a pretty good CEC so an inert cap is fine. I dose almost nothing in my soil tanks, unless the floating/emergent plants are looking a bit sad, which is rare.
i think i read your post some where saying you use play sand? how is this compared to pool filter sand? are the grains in pool filter sand bigger?

i think i read your post some where saying you use play sand? how is this compared to pool filter sand? are the grains in pool filter sand bigger?

Erm, I have used play sand in the past and it was fine (and cheap!). I've got various black sands and micro gravels now which are a bit more expensive. Pool filter sand I've never used (never found a stockist locally) but it gets recommended a lot, I think the grain sizes tend to be larger than play sand, yes.

Back