• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pincette/tweesers

The more expensive tweesers are made from a far beter quality stainles spring steel varying from Chrome Vanadium to titanium. Made with more care and precision. The cheapo's are made from a lower quality grade steel that is much softer. Tho in my experience both can be a one in a lifetime buy.

With the cheap ones you sometimes need some recoursfullness to tackle quality issues.. For example what could happen is the the spotweld snaps and than you have 2 uselass parts. It happened to my bend tweesers and i solveld it like this.
View attachment 124793

Using a good tool is half the work a professional tends to say.. 100% true, but using common sence with for what and how often you use it, than going cheap can save you quite a bit of money. Doing a simple calculus, bying an $80 dollar tool that lasts 10 years the least. Or buy a simmular $5 replica that lasts you a year. 10x5 is still $50 and a new one each year for the next 10 years. Buying the $80, you already lost $30 and it wears off slowly, after that you need to spend $80 again, maybe more due to economical inflation.. :thumbup:

As someone who uses handtools for a living for 45 years now. Cheap tools just do not work at all. They may look the same but the fall down in actual use. I just do not waste MY time which is more costly than a money saved on a cheap tool.

As someone who uses handtools for a living for 45 years now. Cheap tools just do not work at all. They may look the same but the fall down in actual use. I just do not waste MY time which is more costly than a money saved on a cheap tool.

:) Thats a good personal choice.. Me too using tools maybe 5 years less than you do. Professionaly and for DIY hobby.. And yes i sometimes do buy cheap tools.. As discribed above with common sense, if it is something i need but only very occasinaly instead of frequently i go for cheaper options. Simply because i don't have the budget to buy expensive top notch quality for every single little piece i might use now and then. :)

I give you one example and a very simple one. Lately i made something custom for a friend. And to make it needed 6 acrylic disks with a 100mm diameter. Very simple make it with a hole saw. I went to the shop to have a look and i could buy the 100mm hole saw for €20,- and still needed to buy the addaptor drill bit together €40.. Top notch profesional quality. That would have been some quite expensive acrylic disks, don't you think?

Now i look at a china supplier and i can buy a complete 13 pcs set hole saw from 19 up to 127mm, dril bits and all in a plastic case for €15.. Quality is good enough to use it on acrylic.. I bought it cut my disks and i'm done. Still quite expensive only for 6 plastic disks. Since i guess the next time i need hole saws will be i dunno. but if so i still have that 13pcs set.

And if your common professional sense tells you i still would go for the top noch € 40 option.. Be my geust.. :) To me it would not make any sense.

Last edited:
I have a few Pincette/tweesers cheap ones a complete set I got form jenclibee which was great value for got cant fault it, but the Pincette/tweesers I always go for when scaping/triming/picking moss out off my carpet are my ADA ones I got from TGM there in a different league IMO

Cheap or expensive, I found that the thinner the tip, the better they are for planting.
The difference with the more expensive ones is the feel. You don't have to apply as much pressure to keep them tight on whatever you're holding and the ergonomics are better.
A happy medium would be the JBL ProScape tweezers, I picked up a pair for £16.

I was very sceptical about ADA's tools justifying the price tag but have to say I was quickly converted when I started using them recently. Don't experience tugging when pruning stems like I did with my old scissors and planting is just so much easier now.

That's really cool Marcel. Well done mate. I'll be doing the same - but for now, I'm off to the allotment.

I like good quality tools but as said sometimes it isn’t economical to buy something that isn’t going to get used very often. It’s not always about price either. I bought a small Bahco socket set some years ago, they wanted £29.99 in the shops and I bought the same set from Amazon for £19.95 inc delivery.

I bought the large 35cm May Instrument ones from Amazon, they’re not bad at all.

I only get my fingertips wet now! :lol:

72840D3F-BC23-4256-A116-B1B4A8BD8EBE.jpeg

I have told the misses I want ADA planting tweesers and wave scissors for my birthday
Not sure she realises the price as of yet which length tweezers would you all recommend I think I'd be more comfortable with the smaller ones

Cheers
Jay

Lovely present :)

I’m slowly changing mine to ADA.

I’ve got the long pinsettes 270mm. They are super nice for all planting.

Gonna get the medium at 210mm also in time (currently use an unbranded pair that size that’ll do until I can be bothered)

The small at 160mm is minuscule, don’t think I have a use for them (no nano tanks)

Wave scissors I use the 200mm ones. Smaller than the larger Tropica ones but big enough for any task, so light and comfortable. They were the 1st ADA tool I got as a present. They have blown me away!

Just got a pair of the curve scissors 255mm.Use them a lot in the shop for heavy stem trimming, but never had a pair at home before.

You could always ask for a gift card and you could then choose what you like and would compliment or replace what you already have in store.

Back