• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Placement of diffuser and outlet pipes on a RIO 180?

Gary Nelson

I am in the process off setting up a RIO 180 using an external filter as I have removed the internal one - does it matter if the diffuser and outlet pipes are at each end of the tank (opposite ends) using the existing rear cut outs or is it best to have them both together at one end of the tank?

I am not going to be using a spray-bar as I'm using a AM1000 and flow will have dropped a little, I plan on using the eheim elbow and closed end outlets.

I am only used to corner tanks and obviously want to get this off to the best possible start as regards flow.

If any of you can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful :thumbup:

Hi Gary,
went for the juwel tank i see.
Im no expert but from what i have gathered from reading circulation queries in this type of instance, the best way to get an even circulation is to have the inlet and outlet pipe situated together (same corner of the tank) with the outlet pointing to the opposite end of the tank away from the inlet.
This creates a 'vortex' like circulation pattern, maximising dispersion of c02 ferts heat etc throughout the water column. However hardscaping, planting etc all minimise the effectiveness. Adding extra circulation pumps is often necessary to eradicate 'dead spots'.
If you can master the art of the corner tank then this should be more straightforward.
Look forward to seeing this one in a journal, and if its an iwagumi your going for, then the dimensions of the juwel tank probably suit this layout better.
Cheerio
Ady.

what external will you be using?
my sister has a rio 180 and struggled to get water movement around the whole tank so she got herself a small powerhead, and it done the trick.

Ady34 said:
Hi Gary,
went for the juwel tank i see.
Im no expert but from what i have gathered from reading circulation queries in this type of instance, the best way to get an even circulation is to have the inlet and outlet pipe situated together (same corner of the tank) with the outlet pointing to the opposite end of the tank away from the inlet.
This creates a 'vortex' like circulation pattern, maximising dispersion of c02 ferts heat etc throughout the water column. However hardscaping, planting etc all minimise the effectiveness. Adding extra circulation pumps is often necessary to eradicate 'dead spots'.
If you can master the art of the corner tank then this should be more straightforward.
Look forward to seeing this one in a journal, and if its an iwagumi your going for, then the dimensions of the juwel tank probably suit this layout better.
Cheerio
Ady.

Ady, thanks very much for your info, that really helps. I am using an inline heater too and yes I am going for an iwagumi, substrate is really banked up and about and I'm really pleased with my rock layout.... Mind you I did have 3 days on and off of moving rocks about!

I did wonder if diffusion would be better with both intake and outlet in the same corner, the problem is though that I am using the Ehiem installation kits (grey ones) however there does not seem to be enough room on the juwel rio cut outs to place both of these side by side? I don't really fancy hacking the new tank about.

Any other ideas on how to place the inlet and outlet together?

MrLarner said:
what external will you be using?
my sister has a rio 180 and struggled to get water movement around the whole tank so she got herself a small powerhead, and it done the trick.

I am using an Ehiem 2075, I do have a Korarlia to add if I need to boost flow, but I am trying to keep as much equipment out of the display.

Gary Nelson said:
problem is though that I am using the Ehiem installation kits (grey ones) however there does not seem to be enough room on the juwel rio cut outs to place both of these side by side? I don't really fancy hacking the new tank about.

Hi Gary,
youd probably only need to straighten the tapered edges and then you could fill the void with aquarium safe sealer and it would look good as new. You'd never notice it when all your equipment is in place ;) I know what you mean about cutting a new tank to pieces though!!

I have never had an eheim filter so am unfamiliar with the installation kits but presume they are just the rather bulky over the tank holders to prevent kinking in the pipework?
Maybe look at adding some solid plastic 180 degree curves instead of the installation kit( im sure eheim will do them as an accessory) and you should be able to squeeze them in with no kinking. I had my inlet/outlet pipes (fluval flexi pipe, which didnt kink over the lip) and all the cables entering one of the cut outs on my previous rio 180.
Another cheaper way of preventing the kinking is to cut a short length of doubled up metal coathanger and cable tie your pipes to this, bending to fit!!
Hope you think of something.

Back