• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plain Soil Substrate

chrislove01

Am thinking of setting up a small shrimp tank,

Any reason why this cant be plain soil. Thinking on this is that shrimp like rotting leaf litter, and may enjoy picking over the soil.

I dont fully understand the reason for capping, apart of cause to stop a mud bath when its disturbed, but with shrimp this shouldn't be an issue?

Thanks

Chris

Water changes?

So apart from the obvious issues with it getting stirred up, are there any reasons why you cant you bare soil, as it sometimes appears in nature.

You can use top soil but as you say it will easily get stirred up when doing water changes, cleaning any algae off low leaves, planting and plant relocation and it takes an age to settle. I had it for a couple of weeks and decided to go out and buy an aqua soil instead.

Well I use soil all the time, but normally cap it with gravel or sand, just wondered if you had to.

I presume not from the responses, but only for practical reasons.

Chris

chrislove01 said:
So apart from the obvious issues with it getting stirred up, are there any reasons why you cant you bare soil, as it sometimes appears in nature.

As I understand it, possible organics in soil ,could relase ammonia for some weeks after covering the soil with water.
Large plant mass may render this unproblematic for plant's ,but shrimps would be another matter.
Would also expect possible algae bloom until the tank has settled.
few are those (myself included ) taht can refrain from re-arranging,re-planting plant's and for this reason along with those mentioned,, I myself would cap the soil.

Thanks for your insight

Re the ammonia release, just to clarify, are you saying this would be an issue weather the soil were capped or not? Or are you saying that by capping the soil you are providing and a more hospitable environment for denitrifying bacteria to deal with the ammonia issue? Your point on algae is an issue for any new setup, so I am somewhat confused at the point you are making?

Appreciate that moving plants makes a mess,

Regards

Chris

Yes, capping the soil would give bacteria better enviornmment and slow what could be rapid release of possible ammonia .If more ammonia is being released faster than Plant mass available or plant's uptake demands are,then I would expect algae bloom that may not be as bad if soil were capped.

Back