• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

planning a rescape!

krazypara3165

As above, my tank has been running for around three months now, the plants that struggled have long gone and im planning on doing a major rescape as i know know the temperaments of the plants and the discus are constantly hiding in the growth at the back so i would like to mix things up a little. the question being is can i rip up an entire carpet and most plants without draining the tank totally? id prefer not to remove any fish.......

2013-01-12171648.jpg

2013-01-12171658.jpg

2013-01-12171705.jpg

The Plan:

The plan i have in mind is to remove all plants as some have already got a bit wild and to move the large piece of wood on the right over to the left a little (say around 15cm?) i then want to build a small mound around it to stop detrius building up underneath it due to heavy feedings for the discus. i then want to use the taller stem plants that i had around the back of the tank right up next to the wood with the taller carpeting plant (staurogyne porto vellio?) surrounding the enture piece front and back.

For the left hand side i want to create another island with a bit of wood i previously discarded. i want to remove the slate as im not a big fan and the discus dont feed from it anyway i should have enough substrate in the tank as some areas of the front i appear to have 3"+!!! so i will pull that back to create the mounds. it will also give me an opportunity to wipe the algae from the front of the tank that was too close to the substrate to clean.

the last stage will be to create a clear area at the front of the tank for the discus to feed (around 15cm) and surround the smller island with the remainder large plants and surround with echiodorus tenellus and sagitaria dwarf (if i can find a place)

this will be my first proper scape as the plants were just dumped where i thought they would be ok.

i would like to know everyones opinions and feedback will be greatly appreciated! :)

cheers everyone, craig.

Craig,If I could get a carpet going like that I wouldn't be moving any of it. I think the main thing is what you find pleasing to the eye when your relaxing infront of your under water world. Discus are beautiful fish and if you can encourage them to appear from the back of the tank you've achieved. Maybe strategically place some taller plants to the front build there confidence up. Id just got mine feeding from my hand before I gave up keeping them.

^^ by taller plants at the front I meant in the corners creating a window effect if that makes sense.?

Back