• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plans for full rescape.

jkh13

I am planning on doing a full rescape of my 36L tank and was wondering what's the best way to go about doing this knowing that I will likely take some time figuring out the hardscape/planting etc.

I plan to do the following:
1. Move shrimp and fish into a bucket. Have a bunch of Otos, amanos, CRS and rasboras.

2. Transfer existing HC carpet and moss covered seiryu to plastic container box. I want to keep these plants for the new scape. I expect this to be messy so I plan to keep the fish in the bucket whilst this all settles down.

3. Reconfigure lighting and filtration onto plastic tub.

4. Clean up tank and rescape.

Any risks anyone can see with using the plastic tub as a temp fish tank? I imagine it might be a bit more difficult to do water changes as the tub will be on the floor as opposed to a table top due to lack of space. The CO2 reg will also be higher than the tank, guessing this won't be an issue?

First of all good luck with the rescape, i understand how frustrating and worrying the process could be, i'm dreading the day i have to perfrom one.

Fish and shrimp should be fine in a decent sized storage container with the filter running, maybe turn down the flow if you can, or maybe use a HOB filter and/or airstone if you can't use the filter. You could leave them in there for a couple of days no problem. I wouldn't run the lights or co2 at all.

First of all good luck with the rescape, i understand how frustrating and worrying the process could be, i'm dreading the day i have to perfrom one.

Fish and shrimp should be fine in a decent sized storage container with the filter running, maybe turn down the flow if you can, or maybe use a HOB filter and/or airstone if you can't use the filter. You could leave them in there for a couple of days no problem. I wouldn't run the lights or co2 at all.
Yes, I am quite worried about that as I usually take my time with hardscaping. Expect it to last a week or so, especially after filling and waiting for sediment to wash out. The tub is actually about the same size as the tank since the tank is small (36L) I'm going to try run my full setup in it in order to keep the filter bacteria alive so I don't need to cycle again.

Yes, I am quite worried about that as I usually take my time with hardscaping. Expect it to last a week or so, especially after filling and waiting for sediment to wash out. The tub is actually about the same size as the tank since the tank is small (36L) I'm going to try run my full setup in it in order to keep the filter bacteria alive so I don't need to cycle again.

Sounds good, i'm sure others will pitch in soon with some advoce from experience.

Personally i would to keep them in the container no longer than a week at most, they would probably be fine for longer but for me i'd want everything redone within 5 days. Longer it goes on the more stressful it is for yourself.

As above, the fish will be fine in a container, and with a fully cycled filter and lights etc it' really no different than a tank. They would be fine in there indefinitely while you take your time scaping.

Just make sure you don't have any soap residue in your storage container. My wife once used one my my aquarium buckets to mop the floor without my knowledge. I later used it to hold a fish, which ended badly for the poor guy.

Back