• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape Plant choice and layout

Hi All

I'm after some advice on plant choice and positioning for my aquascape project. I'm going for a natural diorama I guess, but I don't want to get bogged down on which type, the aim is to create a miniature slice of nature.

There are some images below demonstrating what I'm trying to achieve. The plants I have chosen are pretty advanced, which is never ideal. So my first question would be, are there similar plants that are not so demanding...or should I just go for it?

If you can't read the plant list on the image, they are;

Plants
Tank size is W100cm x H40cm x D35cm
Tropica soil and Co2
• Anubias 'Petite'
• Rotala 'Bonsai'
• Riccardia chamedryfolia
• Hygrophila pinnatifida
• Hemianthus callitrichoides
• Hydrocotyle Verticillata
• Eriocaulon cinereum

The plants need to have small leaves, but anything that's interesting or has flowers etc... would be considered.

I generally think it looks more natural when you keep the plants in blocks rather than scattered around, but any tips on how to layer/blend/mix the different species would be great.

The hardscape concept is pretty much set. I've always had it in my head that there will be a big overhang created by rock rising up at an angle, but some tweaks to this are welcome too.
What I haven't added to the visual and will have a big effect on the overall look are the smaller graded rocks that will look like they have fallen from the larger pieces. I've hinted at this with the grey area at the front, but this looks a bit like a cheesy path at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time.

p.s. I don't expect the actual tank to ever look like the photoshop version!

AV_Aquascape_V2.jpg

loving the look of this and you've clearly done your homework!

All i would say is you might struggle to keep the H. Pinnatifida above the Rotala unless you aim to keep the Rotala pretty short and trim regularly (or have a high soil level at the back). Switching them around would work well

oh and some buces would work well in your overhang section especially as you like flowering plants

Welcome...Nice hardscape and planting plan.
I think you have the R. Bonsai and H. pinnatifida the right way around.
I'd substitute HC for MC, it's a much less demanding plant. The leaves are slightly larger when first planted but after a trim or two they become smaller and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.
Riccardia chamedryfolia can be difficult, it likes a lot more light than other bryophytes but it's also relatively slow growing so getting the balance right can be difficult and it can attract algae. A much easier and attractive alternative you might consider is mini Christmas moss.
As for blending the different species together, just try to avoid using parallel lines, the plants will naturally interdigitate over time. Perhaps you could start a journal, it'd be interesting to follow your journey, and its the best way to get help when you need it...

oh and some buces would work well in your overhang section especially as you like flowering plants

Thanks Kalum, will look in to these!
After a very quick search, I saw something that looked like the love child of Mr Pinnatifida and Miss Anubias. Not sure how big the leaves are, but will search for some dwarf/mini varieties.

Welcome...Nice hardscape and planting plan.
I'd substitute HC for MC, it's a much less demanding plant. The leaves are slightly larger when first planted but after a trim or two they become smaller and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.
Riccardia chamedryfolia can be difficult, it likes a lot more light than other bryophytes but it's also relatively slow growing so getting the balance right can be difficult and it can attract algae. A much easier and attractive alternative you might consider is mini Christmas moss.
As for blending the different species together, just try to avoid using parallel lines, the plants will naturally interdigitate over time. Perhaps you could start a journal, it'd be interesting to follow your journey, and its the best way to get help when you need it...

Great advice there Tim. Christmas Moss was a back-up, so looks like that's a sensible one to change.

Hi
Dont give up on the Riccardia yet.
It grows very well in my low tech shrimp tank with moderate to low light(depending on floaters) and lately without any fert addition.
It may surprise U.May be try to get some established from forum member and add it after the initial imbalance settles.
Regards Konsa

Ah apologies I just seen Rotala and got carried away but Bonsai is more compact than others so will work the way you have it more so than other varieties :)

I've had good luck with Riccardia in all my tanks so far and it looks great

Hi
Dont give up on the Riccardia yet.
It grows very well in my low tech shrimp tank with moderate to low light(depending on floaters) and lately without any fert addition.
It may surprise U.May be try to get some established from forum member and add it after the initial imbalance settles.
Regards Konsa

Will keep this in mind. Maybe I'll try it on the top of the highest rocks.

The Accidental Aquascaper

That would be one of the best planting plans I have seen after many years doing Forum work.

The hardscape has been also well researched planed out.

Its great to see a Mock Tank being used.

Keith:wave::wave:

The Accidental Aquascaper

That would be one of the best planting plans I have seen after many years doing Forum work.
The hardscape has been also well researched planed out.
Its great to see a Mock Tank being used.

Thanks Keith, very kind. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't use a mock tank, but as you've probably guessed, I like to plan things!
I wish I had the means to fill it with sand, but it would make my office a complete mess.

well if keith likes it right off the bat i can tell you your going to win AGA 1st try.

AGA, is that what you cook a roast in? I'll Google it.

The Accidental Aquascaper.

I can only see one improvement that would even take it up another level.

Have your Substrate (Use a natural colour not white) and have it an equal height across the front at the moment its hard to have a good smooth "Eye Flow"

The Accidental Aquascaper.

I can only see one improvement that would even take it up another level.

Have your Substrate (Use a natural colour not white) and have it an equal height across the front at the moment its hard to have a good smooth "Eye Flow"

Agreed Keith. I was intending that the superficial gravel and rocks would be the same colour as the grey rock. Will be sacrificing a stone or two to make this and topping up with some natural grey gravel that I haven’t found yet as it’s mainly beige that is sold. Any suggestions?

As for the line. I will try to make that as level as possible, but the tank being 35cm deep restricts how far back I can have the rocks on the left. It’s been bugging me too, but will know for sure once I’ve got everything in the tank. Should arrive in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks!

Hi
A look at Hugo Kamishi fine gravel range(Ignoring all painted ones).There are good colour varieties.
I have the polario one is not as green in real life as it comes on photos and is good grain for planting too.
Regards Konsa

Hi
A look at Hugo Kamishi fine gravel range(Ignoring all painted ones).There are good colour varieties.
I have the polario one is not as green in real life as it comes on photos and is good grain for planting too.
Regards Konsa

Had a look at the HK gravel and it looks very green. Plus it's got lots of other colours in there.
I found this gravel , which could be ok. I can't tell from the blurry photo, but it might be too sharp for some fish. It's cheap and I don't need 10kg, so it's probably going to cost too much for delivery. The hunt continues.

Back