• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Combinations ?

tubamanandy

I really like the idea of a tankful of 1 or 2 species of plant (maybe 3) - are there any combinations that work really well that are not too difficult to grow ?

I also like the idea of this after seeing pictures of Ada Wabi Sabi in a article,it was a smallish tank stone with mini Hairgrass in the foreground leading up and then blending into Echinodorus tennellus dwarf sword plant up near higher rocks, I think the only other plant was Pearlgrass,baby tears grown as a subtle stem plant,I suppose small crypts would look effective or Didplis diandra as a alternative stem plant.

Java fern and Bolbitis (don't even need a substrate)
HM and H bolivianum ( will need a substrate )

I have a huge admiration for the scapes James Findley comes up with.. He oftenly only used 3 or 4 plant sp. and everytime makes stunning jawdropping scapes.
For example look his Crimson Sky a 120 cm long shallow tank with only 3 plant sp. :) Amazingly beautiful.

Hi all,
I really like the idea of a tankful of 1 or 2 species of plant (maybe 3)
The two I have that really enjoy life together are Utricularia gibba and Riccia fluitans, they grow in a huge mass floating just below the surface. They aren't to every-ones taste, but the Utricularia flowers really well grown this way.
Java fern and Bolbitis
Java fern, Bolbitis and Limnobium laevigatum or Cryptocoryne x willisii, Anubias barteri "nana" and Salvinia "natans"? or any combination of the above and a moss? I like Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas' as a moss, but any one would do.

I'd probably go for plants that have leaves of a similar scale, but different shades of green and shapes, and plants that have similar requirements for nutrients and CO2.

Have you looked at the Tropica <"inspiration"> tanks?

cheers Darrel

Utricularia gibba and Riccia fluitans
Intresting combination In my tank i had an abundancy of Riccia, used it as anchor for Utricularia Graminifolia. Took a few months but now UG is growing so well now it smothered all Ricia away and took over. I have very little ricia left in my tank it's completely outcompeted mainly by UG.. :)

Back