• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plant deficiency

Coxiella

Hi all

Is there a potassium deficiency in pogostemon helferi? I use a estimative index

IMG-20200531-WA0036.jpg

Pogostemon helferi quite often grow these white or partly white leaves. Sometimes entire braches are totally white. They allways go back to all green, given time.
By far most of commercially traded Pog. helferi originate from tissue cultured plants and it seem the tendency of variegated growth run in this plant material. At Tropica we just dismiss the plants that show white leaves, but the white leaves can ofcourse occur in plants at any time.

Pogostemon helferi quite often grow these white or partly white leaves. Sometimes entire braches are totally white. They allways go back to all green, given time.
By far most of commercially traded Pog. helferi originate from tissue cultured plants and it seem the tendency of variegated growth run in this plant material. At Tropica we just dismiss the plants that show white leaves, but the white leaves can ofcourse occur in plants at any time.

So this is normal?
1590954541495.png

as me and @dw1305 was thinking deficiency

When a large group of plants look and grow healthy (as in OP picture and at Tropica) and a single or few plants grow variegated leaves........ my first thought is not a nutrition deficiency, but a problem within the specific, individual plant.
When I experience this happening in production of huge amounts of plants again and again over years (all healthy plants and here and there a single individual plant going variegated) I see a pattern. When I experience this pattern in the in-vitro, in the potted plants and in plants in a variety of aquaria with different parametres, I tend to dismiss deficiency and believe in something within the specific plant-material.
To suspect a deficiency I would expect to see more or all of the group of plants showing symptoms. What I see in OP picture is exactly what I see in my work with this plant: a tendency to throw variegated leaves or branches.
Therefore I chose to share my experience/knowledge of this specific plant.
- hope this explain my earlier post;).

Am I the only one who doesnt see any variegated leaves in OP's picture?
I see what looks like some highlight on the leaves that the camera picked up as whiteness, and one broken leaf where we are seeing the lighter underside.

The older leaves look to be a bit yellowing so maybe something can be improved.

Do you use CO2? How often and what do you dose of ferts?

Am I the only one who doesnt see any variegated leaves in OP's picture?
I see what looks like some highlight on the leaves that the camera picked up as whiteness, and one broken leaf where we are seeing the lighter underside.

The older leaves look to be a bit yellowing so maybe something can be improved.

Do you use CO2? How often and what do you dose of ferts?
I use co2 with controller (ph : 6.2)
Ferts 3x Kno3 7.5ppm 3x po4 1.3ppm 3x K2SO4 7.5ppm
I checked potassium in the aquarium 45 ppm

Back