• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Density for Cycling

onetwothree

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of cycling my tank via the 'plant and wait' method, as advised by many members of this forum. However, one thing I've noticed is that much of the advises suggests heavy planting, and looking at alot of peoples tanks, mine seems rather empty for a 125L! I quite like the 'clean' aesthetic of a relatively sparsely planted tank. I've planted a concerntation of plants in the centre within some wood/rock formations, and am currenting growing a strong coverage of duckweed across the top.

Would increasing the density of plants hold any benefits? Primarily in terms of ability to process more waste, reducing time to add more fish etc.

See image below :)

https://ibb.co/KmbPgBw

Advise appreciated!

Link didn't work for me but in answer to your question the idea is to plant heavy and get the plants going straight away which out competes the algae

Hi all,
Would increasing the density of plants hold any benefits? Primarily in terms of ability to process more waste, reducing time to add more fish etc.
It might in terms of having some "chunkier" rooted plants, like <"Echinodorus bleheri">, that would be likely to provide advantages in terms of maturing the substrate.
and am currenting growing a strong coverage of duckweed across the top.
That is the most important thing, just keep scooping it off when you get towards complete coverage. You could have a go at slowly reducing its level over time, keeping an eye out for algae on the submerged plants.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It might in terms of having some "chunkier" rooted plants, like <"Echinodorus bleheri">, that would be likely to provide advantages in terms of maturing the substrate. That is the most important thing, just keep scooping it off when you get towards complete coverage. You could have a go at slowly reducing its level over time, keeping an eye out for algae on the submerged plants.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for that. I’ve noticed that my tank has recently started growing some brown algae type material (which I believe is diatoms?). It’s stuck to the glass, hardscape and roots of the duckweed. Is this anything to worry about?

onetwothree

To be perfectly honest and it is going to take a long while to fully cycle your tank. I have always used Seachem Stability (Never it's as good as from the LFS) and plenty of cheap leafy floating plants.
Just checking if you are using carbon in your filter remove it please.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

Back