• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant disease?

ToMMY2l

Seedling
Hey,

Im trying to get my well established aquarium planted. This is prooving quite hard as there seems to be something that is eating my plants :(

plants.jpg

Sorry for the poor image, this was taken on my phone.

Does anyone have any idea of what this might be?

There is also a small amount on this piece of bog wood which isnt living on the plants.

Ive removed my other larger piece of wood which had a java fern growing which was covered in brown spots and semi transparent leaves. This wood was boiled up.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom

Looks like potassium deficiency. Take a look at James' Planted Tank
You don't say anything about your dosing/substrate/lighting/CO2? But you also have what looks like BBA so more fertilisers, carbon supplement and circulation will probably do the trick over time. So heard over to our tutorial section. Quiz starts in an hour :D

That's bba algae, old leaves on anubias get it pretty bad, cut them off and up your co2 and macro/micro dosing accordingly. I find anubias respond best to high levels of micro

Thanks for the help guys.

I should really have provided more info :)

Ok here it is:

75l tank
Using two 24in flouressent tubes: Marine While and Original Tropical Lamp
External filter (Eheim Ecco)
Corse gravel (no plants currently planted in gravel, still trying to get some living on the bog wood first)

Thats about it :)

I dont add any nutrients to the water currently. I know this is more than obvious but I wanted to see what the plants wanted first before I started adding all sorts into the water.

Ive come across the Seachem series of products. I like the idea of being able to add individual amounts to the water of various elements. Is this a good place to start? Buy some potassium and see where that takes me?

Ive also been looking at Seachem Flourish Excel.

Any help as alyways would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Tom

ToMMY2l said:
...I dont add any nutrients to the water currently. I know this is more than obvious but I wanted to see what the plants wanted first before I started adding all sorts into the water...
Hi,
This is like starving your dog to see what his favorite food is.

Algae is a direct result of starvation and if you are not feeding your plants then they are dying of hunger. In this case it seems clear that they are dying of carbon starvation more than they are dying of other types of starvation.

You might want to review articles on dosing strategies: EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS
and James's Planted Tank - Dosing Methods

Cheers,

I like the analogy :)

As Ive said I didnt know what to add to the water so I just added plants first. Now Im seeing problems I think its time to get up to speed.

Ill check out those links and thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Tom

Back