• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plant eating severum

blueacara3

I have a very shy green severum who hides behind my large anubias all day but devours all the new leaves during the night .How do I stop this?

Are you sure it is the severum that devour the leaves at night. Severum is only active during the day and sleeps at night. Severum are herbivore in the wild, but in my tank they prefer fish food to plants. The only time severum destroy plants is when they attempt to breed and this is why I keep only single sex.

Attachments

• ACB3B5A4-0A3B-4610-A9BF-5A07D5750EE9.jpeg
    ACB3B5A4-0A3B-4610-A9BF-5A07D5750EE9.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 174
I have a very shy green severum who hides behind my large anubias all day but devours all the new leaves during the night .How do I stop this?
It's unlikely there is much you can do.

I have never kept severums but i understand they like to eat plants

I’ve kept them in the past and they love eating plants, they’re a herbivorous cichlid so it’s in their nature to eat plants.

I have never encountered any fish that eat my plants, including herbivorous molly, Mbuna and several species of severum as I also don’t have any tasty plants for them. I grow mostly rough texture anubias, Java fern, Bolbitis and sword that even the hungriest herbivore wont touch. Yet I have to get rid of a few fish that destroyed plants for reasons other than feeding, such as breeding or just crazy.

Attachments

• BD854C77-1E13-4F2C-900A-A6DC0AAAF03D.jpeg
    BD854C77-1E13-4F2C-900A-A6DC0AAAF03D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 213
I have never encountered any fish that eat my plants, including herbivorous molly, Mbuna and several species of severum as I also don’t have any tasty plants for them. I grow mostly rough texture anubias, Java fern, Bolbitis and sword that even the hungriest herbivore wont touch. Yet I have to get rid of a few fish that destroyed plants for reasons other than feeding, such as breeding or just crazy.

Methinks you've never kept Silver Dollars, in fact I don't think I've even heard them mentioned on this forum before, with good reason 😂

Back