plant id and info

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Nick16, 8 Dec 2008.

1. Nick16

Nick16 Member

hi, i have seen this plant used in many set ups and wondered what the name of it is and some info on it, like what lighting does it need, co2? ferts?
    i think it is a high light plant benefitting from the above but someone else may be able to clarify.

http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3874

it is shown on the photo shopped image (last pic), at the front, on the left and right.

any help would be great.

2. Superman

Superman Member

I think your on about... Pogostemon helferi

3. Graeme Edwards

Graeme Edwards Founder Staff Member

Whipped off the Tropica website.

Like quite a bit of light and Co2, quite slowing growing and benefits from a rich substrate. Not my cup of teas as it can look untied when it grows out, but nice when kept short.

Pogostemon helferi No. 053H

Family Lamiaceae

Continent Asia

Region

Country of origin

Height 2-10 cm

Width 5-10 cm

Light requirements low-very high

Temperature 20-30 °C

Hardness tolerance very soft-very hard

pH tolerance 6-7,5

Growth medium

Demands medium

This plant was discovered by aquarists in Thailand, close to the border with Burma. It is called 'Daonoi' (little star) in Thailand, and it is easy to see why. Pogostemon helferi is an unusual and distinctive aquatic plant with a compact habit, curly leaves and a strikingly beautiful green colour. With good light conditions and a substrate rich in nutrients Pogostemon helferi forms many side shoots, which develop small roots, and the plant rapidly forms an impressive carpet of foreground vegetation. It important to note, however, that herbivorous fish appreciate this plant as much as aquarists do.

Pogostemon helferi a different but beautiful foreground plant

Cheers.

4. Nick16

Nick16 Member

yeah thats it!!!!! thanks guys. i am trying to build up my foreground well its planning it really but i cant decide out of, HC cuba or glosso for the very front? this will be my first go at the high tech planted so bear that in mind. then a bit behind i thought in having the pogostemon helferi just behind. and tips? i might post a diagram done on 'paint' to show you what i am after.