• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant I'd needed

Iain mlaren

Hi. I brought these today from lfs I'm not to sure they are aquatic plants. They look great in the tank but I don't think they will last. Looked over the Internet to try and I'd them but haven't found anything. Hopefully someone can help please?
20161217_221222.jpg
20161217_221235.jpg

Second photo looks like it might be this Selanginella wildenowii so doesn't look good to start with. Any success stories with these or total no go? Cheers

Both of those plants will survive for about a month if that. Belive it or not my mum has these exact plants and thought they were amazing. Only issue is they never sprouted a root system or anything........

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I did have my suspicions at the time but I was in a hurry and thought well reputable shop I'll pick them up. They haven't got any root from stems so like you say they won't grow any. Think I'll take them back to basingstoke today. Cheers for help. Do you know what the first one is called by any chance? Cheers

I did have my suspicions at the time but I was in a hurry and thought well reputable shop I'll pick them up. They haven't got any root from stems so like you say they won't grow any. Think I'll take them back to basingstoke today. Cheers for help. Do you know what the first one is called by any chance? Cheers
I don't mate sorry. I do know that it's not a true aquatic plant either, after a few weeks it just withers and dies off.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Lol thanks guys. Pays not to buy in a hurry lol. Shame they haven't got anything like this for aquarium. It's a real nice looking plant in my tank and just what I was looking for. I got these from a very well known fish shop chain that I thought was pretty reputable but obviously I was wrong. Will go with world of water next time I think :) cheers with the I'd guys. Nice quick response lol. I also brought a while ago a nice pink plant (rooted and aqautic) my fish took a fancy to it and it almost died off but has started sprouting leaves again after about 2 months. I can't send a picture though as leaves are tiny at the moment. Any ideas? Was bright pink. Cheers

Hmmm I'm gonna quit buying plants from my fish shops now. I think I have I'd for pink plant and looks like a breed of Fittonia. Another non aquatic plant(altho it does seem to be growing back fully submerged? ) any chance this could come back to life by some miracle? This was brought from a different supply so I think I'll just buy from eBay from now on.

Hi cheers hogging. The water wisteria looks quite promising for the setting I need. I think I'll order some up and see how it goes. Thanks for the plant ideas and time taken to find some alternatives.
Iain

Your local fish shop places a plant order for assorted aquarium plants or even specific aquarium plants - what arrives may/may not be what was ordered - unless the shop is well versed in aquarium plants, they may have no idea (most of the lower cost general plants do not arrive with any identifying labels, even the invoice information may not list substitutions)... returning the plant to the shop or ringing & requesting a refund/credit etc has at least the possibility of future change

It's not as simple as it seems - many aquatic plants have an emersed form that depends on growth conditions or particular variant

eBay is no guarantee of "true" aquatic plants or aquatic plant variants that are suitable to the aquarium
:)

Cheers. Looks like a good candidate to go on the log. Having trouble to find it tho. :(

Living Waters Croydon usually has some and they ship. I would also ask them about any other fern-looking plants they might have - as they always have the rare and unusual.

Hi. Thanks for the website. Just had a look. They seem to have a really good selection of plants. I will defo be ordering some from there for after Christmas. Thank you very much
Iain

Back