• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID - Thinking Rotala?

Courtneybst

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what this plant could be? I ordered it from a seller a while back and it turned up in absolutely crap condition. I bought 'Ludwigia Palustris Red' and the original leaves (assuming emersed) were rounded but now new the leaves are long and thin. I've grown Ludwigia Palustris Red before and it looked nothing like this, the leaves remained rounded even after transition, I'm not convinced.

Sorry, this if the clearest photo I could get. Excuse the algae, this tank is on the verge of being rescaped.

a4cf6d464276714b1f05095ec8b8e5cf.jpg

a33ec8eda522d9983452235dd60ed8ee.jpg

I'd say it's Hygrophila polysperma, nice plant (one of my favorites) and is easy to grow. If you have hard water it benefits from some iron as mine struggled until I up'd the iron dosing.

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what this plant could be? I ordered it from a seller a while back and it turned up in absolutely crap condition. I bought 'Ludwigia Palustris Red' and the original leaves (assuming emersed) were rounded but now new the leaves are long and thin. I've grown Ludwigia Palustris Red before and it looked nothing like this, the leaves remained rounded even after transition, I'm not convinced.

Sorry, this if the clearest photo I could get. Excuse the algae, this tank is on the verge of being rescaped.

a4cf6d464276714b1f05095ec8b8e5cf.jpg

a33ec8eda522d9983452235dd60ed8ee.jpg
Hi, the first photo shows two plants in one pot! That's a nice riddle, haha. The species with round (hanging) leaves is without doubt an Ludwigia, the other could be an Hygrophila.:)

Interesting! You've a better eye than me. Seems like only the hygrophila survived. Was probably the worst plant quality I've ever received.

Just a note though, the two pictures are the same plant. The second picture is what it looked like after a month or so... All the rounded ludwigia style leaves were also on these stems but they melted off and these narrow ones formed.

164491f75e42dd65cadc644a3c02463f.jpg

This is how it looked 10 days after planting. The narrow leaf form is the other day.

Hi
I would ask for your money back very poor condition!
As Christel said!
One with more round leaves (Ludwigia) and the second with lanceolate leaves (Hygrophila).

Hi
I would ask for your money back very poor condition!
As Christel said!
One with more round leaves (Ludwigia) and the second with lanceolate leaves (Hygrophila).

Do you think it's still worth asking? The was nearly 2 months ago now. I don't know I didn't persist at the time. Quite surprising as it's a well known retailer.

Do you think it's still worth asking? The was nearly 2 months ago now. I don't know I didn't persist at the time. Quite surprising as it's a well known retailer.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

It looks as if the plant suffered during shipping or just wasn’t in good condition when added to the box (which sounds bad but is an easy enough mistake when packing loads of plants to ship out)

Plants may also arrive at the retailer mislabeled; and in busy times, may ship out to customers shortly after (next or even same day)

I’d also suggest that if that’s a current photo (first post, submerse growth) plant is perhaps struggling in aquarium conditions as significant algae appears even on newer growth

So actually I would be happy if there are two species in one pot at once, but I only have to pay for one, right? :p I can propagate myself. By the way, in the first photo you can clearly distinguish the reddish stems of the Ludwigia (on the right) from the green stems of the Hygrophila.

Back