• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID

Jaseon

Just acquired these but unsure what they are. I did do a search online but couldn't find anything. I have one of those plant ID apps as well, but nothing.
IMG_20210121_175829215.jpg

Damn there are thousands of different types of Echinodorus lol.

Thanks guys think im on the right track.

Hi all,

We need @Mick.Dk, but I think <"the new leaves"> on <"Echinodorus expand" (below)>, rather than unrolling, so I think your plant is something else.

dscf8603-kopie-jpg.jpg

What I don't know, is what it is, although an Aroid? so possibly a Cryptocoryne?

Saururus cernuus
has <"characteristic leaf venation">.

cheers Darrel

Hey Darrel.

Im going more for a crypt just through the stems alone, although ive found some that closely resemble the leaves.

Cryptocoryne Wendtii is the closest ive found, although im sure none of these grow wild in the UK?

cryptocoryne-wendtii-green_2_2048x.jpg

Hi all,

More intriguing, definitely no Cryptocoryne spp. Did you collect it from the wild?

cheers Darrel

I did collect from the wild. Should have said from the outset. Im thinking the plants may be kind of dormant so might change in the growing season?

Did you get them from still or running water? They look similar in leaf shape to a plant, that admittedly I have no idea what it is, that I see a lot in shallow streams higher up in Wales and England (streams as in tiny runoffs from wet/boggy mountain areas). I've never seen how they root though as that water is generally freezing cold.

Lagenandra sp. ? :)

The L. nairii maybe...
Nd9GcR2IntAk1kAGumfp6B4yDj4VMLAGF13EhkX8g&usqp=CAU.jpg

It could very easily be mistaken for a Echinodorus and it does unrole new leaves close to its rosette.
lagenandra-nairii-topf.jpg

Hi all,
They look similar in leaf shape to a plant, that admittedly I have no idea what it is, that I see a lot in shallow streams higher up in Wales and England (streams as in tiny runoffs from wet/boggy mountain areas).
@mort I wonder if your plant might be <"Potamogeton polygonifolius">?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi all,
Luronium natans looks similar to my untrained eye.
That is a <"really rare one"> in the UK.
......... The key feature for identification is the presence of stolons which, in the absence of flowers, is the only reliable diagnostic feature that separates it from Baldellia ranunculoides and Alisma plantago-aquatica........
<"Baldellia is a rare one as well">.

I've seen Baldellia in the Burren, but I've never seen Luronium in the wild.

cheers Darrel

Back